Ten Bobcats named NESCAC Spring All-Sportsmanship
HADLEY, Mass. -- Ten Bates College student-athletes have earned 2013-14 NESCAC Winter All-Sportsmanship Team honors, the New England Small College Athletic Conference announced on Friday.
The team is composed of one student-athlete from each
institution for each sport that the conference sponsors. Players
and coaches from their respective teams select their own
One of the Bobcats' selections also gained All-NESCAC honors this season in his sport, in men's tennis senior captain Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.). This is the second sportsmanship award this season for Berg, who will compete with junior Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) in the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Doubles Championship next week. Berg also received the Chaffee Sportsmanship Award along with All-NESCAC honors in both singles and doubles last week.
Bates 2014 NESCAC Spring All-Sportsmanship Team selections:
- Baseball: Dean Bonneau, Sr.; Amherst, Mass.
- Men's Lacrosse: Jack Strain, Jr.; Montclair, N.J.
- Women's Lacrosse: Rosie Hale, Sr.; Winchester, Mass.
- Men's Rowing: Margaret Carey, Sr.; Lincoln, Mass.
- Women's Rowing: Aisling Ryan, Sr.; Millis, Mass.
- Softball: Kira Shaikh, Jr.; Manchester, Conn.
- Men's Tennis: Timmy Berg, Sr.; Bradenton, Fla.
- Women's Tennis: Lucy Brennan, Sr.; Freeport, Maine
- Men's Track & Field: Logan Greenblatt, Sr.; South Berwick, Maine
- Women's Track & Field: Gabrielle Naranja, Sr.; Fort Kent, Maine
The NESCAC All-Sportsmanship Team recognizes student-athletes
from each varsity sport who have demonstrated outstanding
dedication to sportsmanship. These student-athletes exhibit respect
for themselves, teammates, coaches, opponents and spectators. They
display sportsmanship, not only as a participant in their sport,
but also as a spectator and in their everyday lives. Through their
positive actions and example, these student-athletes inspire others
to adhere to the quality of sportsmanship that the NESCAC and the
The All-Sportsmanship Team was created by the NESCAC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). The NESCAC SAAC serves as the liaison between the student-athletes of NESCAC member institutions and conference administrators. The committee provides a voice to represent the concerns of all student-athletes and to discuss issues impacting student-athlete welfare. The NESCAC SAAC represents all students who participate in intercollegiate athletics and promotes and celebrates student-athletes achievements.