Header Background

Men's lacrosse edged by Colby in close game throughout, 8-6










LEWISTON, Maine -- Colby College held off the Bates College men's lacrosse team for an 8-6 NESCAC victory in the regular-season finale for both teams on Friday at Campus Avenue Field.

With its third straight win, Colby finishes 10-5 overall and 5-4 in the NESCAC, and awaits its seeding in the eight-team NESCAC Championship, which begins Sunday.

With another close loss against a NESCAC opponent -- it is the Bobcats fifth setback to come by a margin of three goals or fewer -- Bates finishes 4-9 overall and 0-9 in conference play.

Although Bates never led, the game was close throughout. Colby only led by as many as three during a single four-minute span in the game.

Following first-year Gary Guinta's (Bay Shore, N.Y.) goal on a first-year Kyle Starr (Concord, N.H.) assist, the Bobcats trained 5-4 with 8:23 left in the third period. Colby finished the period with back-to-back goals by Patrick Briody and Jonathan McIvor, the latter coming with just four second left in the third period for a 7-4 lead.

Bates cut it back to two with 11:09 left in the fourth quarter, as Starr netted his second goal of the game, firing an outside shot between the knees of Colby goalie Thomas Gianakos, after an unforced turnover by the Mules.

Bates took seven out of the next eight shots, and finally cashed in with an unassisted goal by junior Rory Cosgrove (Pittsburgh, Pa.) to cut it ti 7-6 with 5:06 left in the game. The Bobcats attempted 15 of their 26 shots in the game during the fourth quarter, ending the game with a 26-22 advantage in shots taken. Colby had a 21-13 edge in ground balls and a 10-6 edge in faceoffs; the other major team stats were virtually even between the teams.

Colby won the ensuing faceoff and scored a big insurance goal with 4:43 to go, with Patrick Gilligan feeding James Brady for the finish. The goal was scored after a yellow flag was already tossed, giving the Mules their only man-up opportunity in the game immediately following the goal.

Bates recovered a Colby turnover near the 2:00 mark, and after senior David Barrett (Chatham, N.J.) gathered his own blocked shot, the Bobcats called timeout with 1:24 remaining. The Bobcats attempted four more shots over the remaining 84 seconds, one saved and the others off target, as Colby preserved the victory.

McCarthy led the Mules with three goals, all scored during the first 17 minutes of the game, and one assist. Scott Margolis added a pair of goals.

Starr led the Bobcats with two goals and one assist.

Gianakos and Bates sophomore goalie Adam Scharff (Glyndon, Md.) had eight saves apiece.

It was the final collegiate game for nine Bates seniors: Evan Bagley (Cape Elizabeth, Maine), captain David Barrett, Alex Cronstein (New York, N.Y.) Haynes Johnston (Pelham Manor, N.Y.) captain Mike Nadler (Northborough, Mass.), captain Nick Sampson (Yarmouth, Maine), Rudy Schmidt (Franktown, Colo.), Luke Strathmann (Newtown Square, Pa.) captain Hans Tobiason (Yarmouth, Maine)

Stats and Play by Play: Colby 8, Bates 6