Header Background

Men's lacrosse overpowers Lasell, 12-5







NEWTON, Mass. -- After taking a 4-3 lead into halftime, the Bates College men's lacrosse team delivered a knockout in the third and fourth quarters, overpowering Lasell College 12-5 in regional non-conference men’s lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon on Grellier Field.  The Lasers fall to 0-2 on the young season, while the Bobcats record their second win in as many games.

The first quarter ended in a 1-1 tie after goals by Bates junior Rory Cosgrove (Pittsburg, Pa.) and Lasell’s Sam Wilcox. Cosgrove began the scoring at 10:21, cutting from the top of the box down the left lane and launching from 10 yards out. Wilcox evened the score by taking a cross-crease pass from Patrick Bresnahan and scoring.

Bates retook the lead seven minutes into the second quarter when first-year Gary Guinta (Bay Shore, N.Y.) received a feed from junior Luke Charest (Freeport, Maine) over the top of the Lasers' net. One minute later, the Bobcats capitalized on a extra-man opportunity to increase their lead to two goals as Charest found sophomore Jason Hichborn (Yarmouth, Maine) cutting through the middle. Hichborn side-armed the 15-yard shot for a 3-1 Bates lead.

At 4:20, Lasell’s Zach Wiegloszinski closed the gap by connecting on a diving shot which bounced low past Bobcat sophomore goalkeeper Adam Scharff (Glyndon, Md.).

A long-distance shot by Bates sophomore Mike Antoniou (Cumberland, Maine) with 2:55 on the clock increased the Bobcat edge to two once again. But with less than a minute on the clock, Lasell’s Sean Speciale picked up a ground ball and curled around the net to score, bringing Lasell back within one goal of Bates, 4-3, at the intermission.

Speciale evened the score in the opening minute of the third period. The tie lasted just over two minutes, when senior David Barrett (Chatham, N.J.) took a straight center-shot to give Bates the advantage once again. The rest of the period belonged to the Bobcats as they scored four more unanswered goals, taking a 9-4 lead. 

Bates carried their momentum over into the fourth quarter, increasing their 5-0 run to 7-0 by the 13:33 mark in the period.  Over 10 scoreless minutes followed on either side before Wilcox cut through the middle to beat Scharff for the final time. First-year Bobby Coppersmith (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) tallied the final goal, unassisted, as the Bobcats sealed their second season victory, 12-5. 

Charest led all point-scorers in the matchup, securing all five of his points off of assists, while Guinta, Barrett, Cosgrove, Hichborn, and senior Nick Sampson (Yarmouth, Maine) each notched two goals apiece for the Bobcats.

Scharff made seven saves and let up just four goals in 53 minutes, at which point first-year Alex Henrie (Lexington, Mass.) came on to mind the net for the final minutes of the contest. Junior Cody Newman (Montclair, N.J.) won in 10-of-18 faceoffs for the Bobcats and picked up a team-high six ground balls.

Wilcox led the Lasell scorers with two goals and one assist, and Speciale also produced two goals. Lasell’s netminder Eric Walsh made nine saves in the game, and Adam Foss grabbed five ground balls and won five face-offs.


Bates returns to action on Tuesday, hosting the University of New England in a non-conference game at 5 p.m.

STATS: Bates 12, Lasell 5