Header Background

Men's lacrosse regroups, can't come all the way back vs. Camels

Kevin Helm '12 played an outstanding game for Bates on defense, causing six turnovers and collecting four ground balls. (File photo by Hank Schless '14)

LEWISTON, Maine -- Connecticut College jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first quarter and maintained its edge the rest of the way, defeating the Bates College men's lacrosse team 9-5 in a NESCAC contest on Saturday at Garcelon Field.

Stephen Eicher scored four goals for the Camels (4-6, 2-4 NESCAC), and was the only multiple goal-scorer for either side. Danny Morici added a goal and an assist, and John Lenehan made 11 saves, including five in the final quarter. Bates took 36 shots to 30 for the Camels.

Sophomore Alex Henrie (Lexington, Mass.) started in goal for Bates and allowed five goals in 12:42 before first-year Charlie Kazarian (Providence, R.I.) came on in relief. Kazarian made seven saves against four goals allowed in over 47 minutes of play.

Bates junior defender Kevin Helm (Norwell, Mass.) starred for the Bobcats, causing six turnovers and collecting four ground balls. Senior Rory Cosgrove (Pittsburgh, Pa.), first-year Will Gilkeson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio), sophomore Rob Highland (Yarmouth, Maine), sophomore Gary Guinta (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and junior Jason Hichborn (Yarmouth, Maine) all scored once for Bates.

Mark Mangano scored for the Camels just 58 seconds into the game with a scorching shot from the right wing, his 15th goal of the year. Morici fed Eric Doran for his seventh goal with 10:37 left in the quarter, and the Camels made it 3-0 shortly thereafter, as Eicher scored unassisted, his 14th tally of the season. Morici added a fourth goal for the Camels with 3:18 left to play.

The Bobcats bounced back with their first score just nine seconds later, as junior Reed Brown (Portsmouth, N.H.) won the ground ball off the faceoff and found Guinta for his 12th goal of the year, allowing the sophomore to assume the team lead in goals. But the Camels deflated Bates' hopes for a rally when Eicher scored again less than a minute later for a 5-1 lead after one quarter.

Bates closed the gap to 5-2 with 10:37 left in the second quarter. After Andrew Freedman bumped the lead back to four for the Camels on a John Lyons feed, Highland scored the game's only extra-man goal with 5:36 left, firing in an unassisted shot after the Camels' Mike O'Donnell was flagged for holding. But Eicher again stemmed any momentum by scoring his third goal of the game, and the Camels led 7-3 at halftime.

Bates outshot Connecticut College 13-2 in the third quarter, but struggled to find the target, scoring once while Lenehan made just two saves. Gilkeson's unassisted goal with 12:16 left in the quarter was the lone score of the period.

Shortly after the fourth quarter began, the Camels scored for the first time in 20 minutes of game time, as JR Hartgers assisted on PJ Mara's goal to make it 8-4. Jason Hichborn closed the gap back to three, at 8-5, just 58 seconds later, but the Camels held the Bobcats scoreless over the final 13 minutes of the game, while Eicher tacked on his fourth tally with 1:12 left.

Bates takes on Bowdoin in another NESCAC game at Garcelon on April 19 at 7 p.m.

Complete Stats and Play by Play: Connecticut College 9, Bates 5