Header Background

Men's lacrosse's lead over Bowdoin slips away in fourth quarter











LEWISTON, Maine -- Bowdoin outscored Bates 4-0 in the fourth quarter to register a come-from-behind 11-9 win between two teams that entered the game with identical records in NESCAC men's lacrosse action on Tuesday night at Garcelon Field.

Owen Smith scored two of Bowdoin's last three goals, including the game-tying score with 9:49 to go, the game's first tie since 13 seconds remained in the first quarter. Keegan Mellhorn's goal 46 seconds later gave the Polar Bears their first lead, at 10-9, since a 3-2 advantage late in the first quarter.

Patrick Lawlor scored three times and assisted on another for Bowdoin (5-6, 2-4 NESCAC). Nathan Fritts and Smith both scored twice for the Polar Bears, with Smith adding an assist. Jake McCampbell made nine saves for Bowdoin.

Bates (4-7, 1-6 NESCAC) senior Luke Charest (Freeport, Maine) scored a season-high three goals and collected a season- and game-high seven ground balls, while senior Rory Cosgrove (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and sophomore Gary Guinta (Bay Shore, N.Y.) added two scores apiece. First-year goalie Charlie Kazarian (Providence, R.I.) made his first collegiate start and played a strong game, with 16 saves, as Bowdoin outshot Bates 45-34 and had a 27-18 edge in shots on goal.

Bates controlled most of the faceoffs, with junior Harri Kim (Woodbridge, Conn.) winning seven out of 10 and senior Cody Newman (Montclair, N.J.) winning eight out of 13. Kim also had six ground balls.

Bowdoin got an early 3-1 lead, but the Bobcats came back to tie it at 3-3 before the first quarter ended, with a man-up goal by first-year Wylie Leabo (Belmont, Mass.), followed by Guinta's goal with 13 seconds remaining after a feed by sophomore Rob Highland (Yarmouth, Maine).

Strong defense and effective faceoffs kept the momentum going for Bates, as the Bobcats turned it into four unanswered goals in the second quarter, with unassisted tallies by Cosgrove with 10:23 left and by Charest with 4:58 left in the half, for a 5-3 Bates lead. Bowdoin closed it to 5-4 14 seconds off the next faceoff, as Fritts netted his second goal of the game. As the first half entered its final minute, junior Mark Murphy (Duxbury, Mass.) stole the ball from Franklin Reis, and a successful Bates clear set up Charest's second goal on a feed by junior Reed Brown (Portsmouth, N.H.), with 23 seconds left.

Bates got its largest lead of the game, at 7-4, just 67 seconds into the third quarter, with sophomore Kyle Starr (Concord, N.H.) scoring his third goal of the season.

Lawlor closed it to 7-5 with 8:54 left, and the Polar Bears struck again a blazing fast six seconds later, with 8:48 left in the quarter, when Brendan Hughes got the ground ball off the faceoff and dished to billy Bergner for the finish, Bergner's 18th goal of the season.

Guinta gave Bates a two-goal cushion with 4:50 left in the third, scooping up a ricocheted save and scoring in a single motion. Mark Flibotte closed itto 8-7 for Bowdoin, but Starr assisted Charest with 2:13 left for a 9-7 lead.

The Polar Bears held the Bobcats scoreless over the final 17 minutes of the game, thanks in part to their fourth-quarter advantages in ground balls (9 to 4), shots (11 to 4) and turnovers (5 to 1).

The Bobcats have their last home game of the season this Saturday against Trinity at 1 p.m., before finishing the regular season at Colby on April 29.

Box Score and Play by Play: Bowdoin 11, Bates 9