Header Background

Men's lacrosse beats Amherst in overtime, 10-9

LEWISTON, Maine -- Senior Dan Hines (Manchester, Mass.) ripped home the game-winning goal with 2:22 remaining in overtime as the Bates men's lacrosse team scored a 10-9 NESCAC victory over Amherst College on Sunday afternoon at Garcelon Field.

Bates (1-2, 1-1 NESCAC) picked up its first win in the young season, while Amherst (0-2, 0-2) remained winless.

Hines ended Amherst's 3-0 run and capped a dramatic sequence with the game-winner. With 3:12 left in overtime, Bates sophomore goalie Dan Bell (Simsbury, Conn.) turned away Dylan Park's close-range shot. The ball caromed out of the crease and the Bobcats gained three ground balls -- one apiece by senior Andrew Berry (Westwood, Mass.), sophomore Steven Hild (West Hartford, Conn.) and senior Torben Noto (Portland, Ore.) -- before they could get out of their defensive third. The Bobcats cleared and the offense settled momentarily before Hines hesitated, turned and shot at about a 30-degree angle over his left shoulder past Amherst goalie Rob Dickinson.

Senior Rob Highland (Yarmouth, Maine) and junior Will Gilkeson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio) scored three goals apiece for Bates; sophomore Jack Strain (Montclair, N.J.) tallied two goals and one assist, and Hines added the goal and two assists. In a game in which each one mattered, Bates won 13 of 23 faceoffs and 45 of 80 ground balls, led by sophomore Mac Jackson's (Hood River, Ore.) whopping 11 GB's. Bell, who made his collegiate debut in yesterday's 10-8 loss to Middlebury, made 10 saves en route to his first win.

Devin Acton scored four goals and assisted on another for the Lord Jeffs. Park added two goals, and Quinn Moroney added another to go with a game-high three assists. Dickinson made 12 saves, as Bates outshot Amherst by a slight 36-33 margin in the evenly played contest.

The game saw at least five major momentum swings. Amherst quickly erased Bates' 1-0 lead with two goals by Acton inside the opening four minutes. The Bobcats shored up their defense for the remainder of the quarter, then embarked on a quick 3-0 run for a 4-2 lead after one.

The Lord Jeffs controlled the second quarter for the most part, outshooting Bates 12-9 and evening up the game at 5-5 by halftime.

Amherst made it a 4-0 run 1:14 into the third quarter, as Jeff Izzo's goal from Kane Haffey gave the Jeffs a 6-4 lead.

But a quick answer by the Bobcats initiated Bates' game-deciding 5-0 streak. Junior Paul Donovan (Norwell, Mass.) won the ensuing faceoff, getting his own ground ball, and half a minute later he turned and scored from close range on an assist by Nick Ford, only 36 seconds after Izzo's tally.

Donovan won the next faceoff, controlled by first-year Karl Rickett (Portland, Maine), and Bates kept possession for two minutes before Highland charged into a pass from Hines and scored a man-up goal from a head-on angle.

Gilkeson followed Highland's team-leading eighth goal with his fifth goal of the season on an assist by Strain, returning the lead to Bates at 7-6. First-year Jack Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) won a ground ball after sophomore Conor Henrie's (Lexington, Mass.) shot was saved by Dickinson, and with 1:57 to go in the third period, he flipped to Strain for the finish and an 8-6 lead for the Bobcats.

Gilkeson scored his sixth goal with 10:45 left in the fourth period, giving Bates a game-high three-goal lead at 9-6. But after Amherst won the next faceoff, a holding penalty against Bates was converted into a man-up goal by Acton, his fourth score of the game, on another Moroney assist, only 63 seconds after Bates' goal. Dickinson saved a shot by Bates senior Kyle Starr (Concord, N.H.), and the Jeffs patiently set up a shot by Park shot that went wide. The Jeffs maintained possession and with 5:47 left, Park connected on a Moroney assist, closing the gap to 9-8.

Bates took two off-target shots, then turned the ball overwith 2:55 left in regulation, and with 2:11 remaining Park tied the game with an unassisted tally. Bates won the next faceoff but turned the ball over. Amherst called timeout with 58 seconds to go in regulation but couldn't get off a shot before losing control in Bates' defensive zone. Acton scooped the ground ball and fired off a wide shot just before regulation time expired.