Header Background

Barron, Grees score for men's soccer, but Tufts wins in 2nd OT

Nick Barron '13 netted his first collegiate goal, heading in a corner kick from John Murphy '13. (File photo)

LEWISTON, Maine -- Kyle Volpe's header off of a corner kick by junior Raphael Ramos-Meyer with 7:36 left in the second overtime period gave Tufts University a 3-2 NESCAC win over the Bates College men's soccer team on Sunday at Russell Street Field.

One of three classic head-ball goals in the game raised the Jumbos' overall record to 7-2-2, and they moved to 4-2-2 in NESCAC play. Bates dropped to 3-8 overall and 0-8 in conference.

Bates got off to the early lead in the 10th minute, when junior John Murphy's (Yarmouth, Maine) corner kick from the right was redirected off the head of junior back Nick Barron (Kirkwood, Mo.) past Tufts senior goalkeeper Alan Bernstein (Wayne, N.J.).

Tufts didn't wait too long to even the score. In the 18th minute, junior Franco Silva (Houston, Texas) took a pass from first-year Gus Santos (Framingham, Mass.) and drilled a beautiful shot from about 40 yards away past the reach of Bates senior goalie Brian Goldberg (New York, N.Y.). Despite a 14-6 advantage in shots taken during the first half, the score stayed at 1-1 through halftime.

The score remained knotted at 1-1 until 24:21 remained in the second half, and Santos scored on an assist by Volpe. This time Bates responded with the game-tying goal shortly after: with 16:50 to go, Bates first-year Tyler Schleich (Santa Barbara, Calif.) sent a cross into the face of the Tufts goal, and sophomore forward Tyler Grees (Williamstown, Mass.) got his head on it to tally his first goal of the season, evening the game at 2-2.

Bates seemed to have all the offensive momentum in the final minutes of regulation, outshooting Tufts 6-0 over the last 12 minutes and attepmting a pair of corner kicks. The Bobcats carried their momentum into a slight 4-3 edge in shots in the first overtime, but the Jumbos were the aggressors in the second 10-minute OT period, attempting all four shots before the game ended in its 108th minute.

Bernstein made five saves for Tufts. Goldberg made three saves in the first half, and senior Greg Watts (West Chester, Pa.) made two more saves after intermission.

Bates hosts a non-conference game against the University of Southern Maine on Wednesday at 7 p.m. on the synthetic turf of Garcelon Field.

Stats and Play by Play: Tufts 3, Bates 2 (2OT)