Men's squash routs Amherst for third place in NESCACs
HARTFORD, Conn. -- The Bates College men's squash team claimed third place for the third time in as many years Sunday at the NESCAC Men's Squash Championship at Trinity College, soundly defeating Amherst College 8-1.
Amherst's lone point came at the third position, where Bates junior Jordan Greenberg (Malvern, Pa.) retired during the match for the second straight time. Greenberg sat out Bates' loss to Williams in the semifinal round of the tournament.
Winning in straight games for the Bobcats (10-7) were junior Kush Mahan (Gainesville, Fla.), sophomore Nick Echeverria (Washington, D.C.), senior Marc Taggart (Skippack, Pa.) and senior Charlie Johnson (Atlanta, Ga.).
Bates will host the Maine Invitational next weekend, starting with matches against Tufts on Friday at 5:30 p.m. and against George Washington on Friday at 8:30 p.m. They'll conclude the tournament with a match against MIT on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
Bates 8, Amherst 1
1. B- Kush Mahian d. D. Blacker, 9-3, 9-4, 9-3
2. B- Will Katz d. J. Giovinazzo, 10-8, 4-9, 9-4, 9-1
3. A- S. Severson d. Jordan Greenberg, 4-9, def.
4. B- Matt Marchisotto d. B. Bishop, 6-9, 9-1, 9-1, 9-3
5. B- Nick Echeverria d. T. Lavine, 9-6, 9-5, 9-1
6. B- Bobby Burns d. K. Cecala, 9-8, 8-10, 9-4, 5-9, 9-7
7. B- Chip Russell d. T. Rapisarda, 9-5, 9-0, 5-9, 9-2
8. B- Marc Taggart d. B. Corbin, 9-0, 9-3, 9-4
9. B- Charlie Johnson d. Z. Porges, 9-1, 9-3, 9-3