|Kush Mahan '10 swept Brown's No. 1 player in three games.|
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College men's squash team finished the regular season on Sunday at the Bates Squash Center with a 6-3 loss to Dartmouth College followed by a 6-3 win over Brown University.
The Bobcats, ranked No. 11 in the country, finish the regular season with a 17-6 record, with all six losses coming against top-10 teams.
The loss to No. 9 Dartmouth ended Bates' win streak at 10 matches, but the Bobcats gave the Big Green a very good match. Wins for Bates came from sophomore Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) at the No. 4 spot and first-years R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) and Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) at 8 and 9, respectively. Meanwhile juniors Will Katz (Bronxville, N.Y.) and Dae Ro Lee (Yongin, South Korea) lost in five games -- Katz after taking a 2-0 lead, and Lee to his younger brother, Luke Lee.
Bates then defeated No. 13 Brown with wins from senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) at the No. 1 spot, Katz at 3, Burns at 4, junior Nick Echeverria (Washington, D.C.) at 5, Keating at 8 and Bedell at 9.
Bates will be the No. 3 seed at the NESCAC Men's Squash Championships, which take place next weekend at Trinity College. UPDATE: Bates will play the winner between 11th seed Wesleyan and sixth seed Amherst on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at Trinity in the conference quarterfinals. The winner of that match will go on to the semifinal round, likely to be No. 2 seed Williams, on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. The loser of Bates' first match will play at that same time.
Bates 6, Brown 3
1. Mahan,Kush (Bates) def. Thompson,Brad (Brown) 11-6,11-6,11-6
2. Greenberg,Jordan (Bates) def. by Leanza,Adrian (Brown) 11-9,11-9,11-4
3. Katz,William (Bates) def. Clayman,Benjamin (Brown) 11-3,9-11,11-8,8-11,12-10
4. Burns,Robert (Bates) def. Davis,Patrick (Brown) 11-6,12-10,11-4
5. Echeverria,Nicholas (Bates) def. Greenberg,Adam (Brown) 11-7,11-2,11-6
6. Lee,Dae Ro (Bates) def. by O Connor,Eamon (Brown) 5-11,11-8,12-10,8-11,11-9
7. Williams,Patrick (Bates) def. by Holter,Christopher (Brown) 11-5,8-11,11-5,8-11,13-11
8. Keating,R. J. (Bates) def. Heitzmann,Alex (Brown) 13-11,11-3,11-8
9. Bedell,Eric (Bates) def. Bryan,William (Brown) 4-11,11-3,11-13,11-6,11-9
(10.) Kourides,Nicholas (Bates) def. Besser,Evan (Brown) 11-7,11-2,11-6
Dartmouth 6, Bates 3
1. Mahan,Kush (Bates) def. by Hanson,Christopher (Dartmouth) 11-9,11-4,11-5
2. Greenberg,Jordan (Bates) def. by Sisodia,Nicholas (Dartmouth) 11-2,11-9,11-9
3. Katz,William (Bates) def. by Lewis,Michael (Dartmouth) 9-11,8-11,11-9,11-7,11-8
4. Burns,Robert (Bates) def. Maycock,Robert (Dartmouth) 11-8,11-7,10-12,11-7
5. Echeverria,Nicholas (Bates) def. by O Toole,Brian (Dartmouth) 13-11,11-7,13-11
6. Lee,Dae Ro (Bates) def. by Lee,Luke (Dartmouth) 13-11,5-11,11-2,5-11,11-9
7. Williams,Patrick (Bates) def. by Shrubb,Michael (Dartmouth) 11-3,11-9,11-13,11-4
8. Keating,R. J. (Bates) def. Schroeder,Ted (Dartmouth) 11-9,11-6,6-11,7-11,11-9
9. Bedell,Eric (Bates) def. Wagman,Daniel (Dartmouth) 11-8,6-11,11-7,11-8
(10.) Kourides,Nicholas (Bates) def. by (Not available) (Dartmouth) 11-6,11-3,11-4