LEWISTON, Maine -- In a match that was as close as could be, No. 10 Williams College edged the No. 12-ranked Bates College men's squash team 5-4 on Saturday in a NESCAC match at the Bates Squash Center.
Bates (6-3, 3-2 NESCAC) took victories at the No. 1 position as well as spots 3 through 5, while the Ephs (6-3, 2-1) took the No. 2 spot and swept the final four positions.
Bates senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) prevailed over Ethan Buchsbaum at the No. 1 spot in a marathon battle, 16-14, 5-11, 10-12, 11-8, 13-11. Also winning matches for Bates were junior Will Katz (Bronxville, N.Y.), who swept Will Gruner at No. 3, sophomore Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.), who prevailed in five games at No. 4, and junior Nick Echeverria (Washington, D.C.), who won in three games at No. 5. Senior Jordan Greenberg (Malvern, Pa.) was edged in a five-game battle at No. 2 by William Morris.
Bates next plays at Harvard on Wednesday, Jan. 13 at 6 p.m.
Williams 5, Bates 4
1. Mahan,Kush (B) def. Buchsbaum,Ethan (W) 16-14,5-11,10-12,11-8,13-11
2. Greenberg,Jordan (B) def. by Morris,William (W) 11-6,11-7,7-11,8-11,11-9
3. Katz,William (B) def. Gruner,Will (W) 11-8,11-5,11-9
4. Burns,Robert (B) def. Henze,Christian (W) 9-11,8-11,11-6,14-12,11-1
5. Echeverria,Nicholas (B) def. Drobetsky,Julian (W) 12-10,11-4,11-4
6. Lee,Dae Ro (B) def. by Marks,Nick (W) 7-11,12-10,11-7,11-9
7. Williams,Patrick (B) def. by Yaros,Bernard (W) 11-7,11-6,8-11,11-4
8. Keating,R. J. (B) def. by Herrmann,Jeremy (W) 11-6,11-3,11-9
9. Kourides,Nicholas (B) def. by Greaves-Tunnell,Alexander (W) 8-11,12-10,11-5,11-7
(10.) Bedell,Eric (B) def. by Ervasti,Jack (W) 11-8,11-6,11-4