|Will Katz '11 (above) and Kristian Muldoon '14 both won 3-2 at the first and third spots on the ladder, respectively, against the Penn Quakers.|
BELMONT, Mass. -- The Bates men's squash team lost 7-2 to No. 10 Penn on Friday at Belmont Hill School in the quarterfinals of Hoehn Cup (B Division) play at the College Squash Association Men's Team Nationals.
Bates (17-10), ranked No. 15 in the country, drops into the consolation side of the Hoehn Cup bracket and will face No. 14 Middlebury on Saturday at 9 a.m. at Harvard. The winner will face either Navy or St. Lawrence for 13th place in the final rankings.
Bates senior captain Will Katz (Bronxville, N.Y.) outslugged the Quakers' (5-8) Thomas Mattsson at the No. 1 position on the ladder in five games after trailing 2-1. First-year Kristian Muldoon (Paget, Bermuda) accomplished the same feat at No. 3, over James Clark. Sophomore Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) came up on the short end of a 3-2 decision at No. 9; also winning games in their matches were sophomore R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) at No. 6 and senior Dae Ro Lee (Yongin, South Korea) at No. 7.
Penn 7, Bates 2
Feb. 25, 2011 at Belmont Hill School
1. Katz, William R. (B) def. Mattsson, Thomas W. (P) 11-7, 3-11, 6-11, 11-8, 11-2
2. Echeverria, Nicholas P. (B) def. by Greenberg, Danny (P) 11-4, 11-3, 11-5
3. Muldoon, Kristian (B) def. Clark, James F (P) 11-4, 7-11, 4-11, 13-11, 11-8
4. Burns, Robert P. (B) def. by Drake, Porter E (P) 11-8, 11-5, 11-9
5. Williams, Patrick (B) def. by Browne, William A. (P) 11-9, 11-7, 11-7
6. Keating, R.J. (B) def. by McGuinness, Trevor S. (P) 11-13, 11-1, 12-10, 11-8
7. Lee, Dae Ro (B) def. by Judd, Daniel (P) 11-6, 11-6, 12-14, 11-8
8. Compton, Doug (B) def. by Dudzik, John A. (P) 11-2, 14-12, 11-6
9. Cabot III, Walter M. (B) def. by Ang, Justin (P) 12-10, 6-11, 11-9, 9-11, 11-5
Keep up with all the latest results, including live web streaming of selected matches at http://collegesquashassociation.com/.