LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 18 Bates men's squash team easily defeated No. 27 Tufts in a Friday evening match at the Bates Squash Center.
Bates honored their sole senior, Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) at the start of the night. Burns continues to dominate in his 2011/2012 season, adding to an already impressive career. Burns holds an overall individual record of 56-23 through the Tufts victory. Head coach Pat Cosquer described Burns as, "irreplaceable" during the pre-match ceremonies. Burns defeated Tufts No. 1 in a perfect three sets (11-9, 11-3, 13-11).
Junior R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) competed in a marathon game against Tufts first-year Alex Nalle. Keating and Nalle alternated wins in the first, second, third and fourth sets, bring the game to a deciding fourth set. Keating was ultimately defeated in the fifth (11-4) to give Tufts their only win on the night.
The remainder of the ladder, including junior James Mulholland's (Vero Beach, Fla.) exhibition game, proved to be straight 3-0 victories. Wins game from first-years Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.), Jason Shrubb (Hamilton, Bermuda), and Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.), and juniors Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.), Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.), David Born (Westbrook, Maine), and William Fearnley (Byfield, Mass.).
Bates (6-11) hope to stay hot as they continue to play in the Maine Event Saturday. The Bobcats will take on MIT at 9am, George Washington at 1pm, Boston College at 5:15pm, and Drexel at 8pm.
Bates 8, Tufts 1
Jan. 27, 2012 at Bates Squash Facility
1. Burns,Robert P. (B) def. Schweitzer,Zachary M. (T), 11-9,11-3,13-11
2. Keating,R. J. (B) def. by Nalle,Alex B. (T), 7-11,11-5,6-11,11-6,11-4
3. Bedell,Eric S (B) def. Miller,Henry P (T), 11-2,11-9,11-5
4. Cannon,Andy (B) def. Abboud,Michael C (T), 11-3,11-5,11-8
5. Cabot III,Walter M. (B) def. Ho,Jeremy (T), 11-8,11-2,11-3
6. Born,David (B) def. Silverman,Gordon H F (T), 11-4,12-10,11-2
7. Shrubb,Jason A (B) def. Meggitt,Hugo C. (T), 11-8,11-8,11-4
8. Saleem,Nabil (B) def. Meleney,Andrew (T), 11-4,11-3,11-5
9. Fearnley,William T (B) def. Kardon,Elliot (T), 11-6,12-10,11-5
exh. Mulholland,James S. (B) def. Borek,Eli (T), 11-8,11-4,11-5