LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. -- The Bates men's squash team finished play at the College Squash Association Men's Team Nationals on a winning note, notching a convincing 7-2 victory over higher-seeded Brown at The Lawrenceville School to claim a final national ranking of No. 15 for the second straight year.
Brown (6-11), seeded seventh in the Hoehn Cup (B Division) bracket, won in straight sets at the second and seventh positions on the ladder, but the Bears were blanked by 3-0 scores at five other spots, as the eighth-seeded Bobcats (13-16) were able to avenge a 5-4 defeat from back in November.
Senior captain Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) took all five sets to edge Brad Thompson in the No. 1 matchup, 2-11, 12-10, 11-8, 7-11, 11-9. Meanwhile, junior Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) completed a personal unbeaten weekend by coming back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat Alexander Hsu 6-11, 13-11, 2-11, 11-9, 13-11 at No. 6.
Winning in straight sets for Bates were junior R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) at No. 3, junior Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) at No. 4, first-year Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.) at No. 5, first-year Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.) at No. 8 and first-year Jason Shrubb (Hamilton, Bermuda) at No. 9.
The Bates men finish their season by sending some players to be announced to CSA Individual Nationals, starting March 1 at Amherst College.
Bates 7, Brown 2
Feb. 19, 2012 at The Lawrenceville School
1. Burns, Robert P. (Bates) def. Thompson, Brad (Brown) 2-11, 12-10, 11-8, 7-11, 11-9
2. Muldoon, Kristian (Bates) def. by Reinson, Blake A. (Brown) 11-2, 11-0, 11-0
3. Keating, R.J. (Bates) def. Holter, Christopher L (Brown) 11-2, 11-7, 11-8
4. Bedell, Eric S (Bates) def. Bryan, William (Brown) 12-10, 11-6, 11-6
5. Cannon, Andy (Bates) def. O'Connor, Eamon F (Brown) 11-9, 11-7, 11-4
6. Cabot III, Walter M. (Bates) def. Hsu, Alexander Y (Brown) 6-11, 13-11, 2-11, 11-9, 13-11
7. Born, David (Bates) def. by Oberbeck, John Eric (Brown) 11-4, 11-6, 11-6
8. Saleem, Nabil (Bates) def. Holberton, Tod (Brown) 11-5, 11-6, 11-3
9. Shrubb, Jason A (Bates) def. Lebovitz, Charles C. (Brown) 11-5, 11-5, 12-10