NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Senior R.J. Keating held off Navy's Hunter Bouchard for a match-clinching 3-1 win at the No. 4 position, as the Bates men's squash team defeated the Midshipmen 5-4 for the second time this season in second-round Hoehn Cup play Saturday morning at CSA Men's Team Nationals.
The Bobcats will face the University of Pennsylvania in the Hoehn consolation finals on Sunday at 11:30am at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Conn. The match will determine 13th and 14th places in the final national standings. The 12th-ranked Quakers defeated Bates 5-4 in the Bobcats' season opener on Nov. 17, 2012.
Winning matches in straight games for the Bobcats were senior captain Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.), 3-0 at No. 3; sophomore Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.), 3-0 at No. 5; and sophomore Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.), 3-0 at No. 6.
According to the CSA website, the teams were tied at 3-3 when first-year NESCAC Player of the Year Ahmed Abdel Khalek (Cairo, Egypt) to give Bates a 4-3 edge. The Midshipmen evened the match again at 4-4 when John Richey won 13-11 over Bates first-year Filip Michalsky (Prague, Czech Republic)
"In the number 4 contest," the website reports, "Bates’ R.J. Keating went out to a 2-0 lead, but Hunter Bouchard dug in to win 11-9 in the third. Keating held off a late charge from Bouchard in the fourth to clinch the 5-4 win for the Bobcats."
Bates 5, Navy 4
Feb. 23, 2013 at Yale
1. Abdel Khalek,Ahmed M. (Bates) def. McGuinness,Andrew (Navy) 11-2,11-5,11-6
2. Kacergis,James M. (Navy) def. Muldoon,Kristian (Bates) 5-11,11-7,11-5,11-6
3. Cabot III,Walter M. (Bates) def. Beck,Hunter (Navy) 11-9,11-3,11-4
4. Keating,R. J. (Bates) def. Bouchard,Hunter R. (Navy) 11-8,11-6,9-11,11-5
5. Cannon,Andy (Bates) def. Barry,Colin M. (Navy) 11-7,11-7,11-5
6. Saleem,Nabil (Bates) def. Kacergis,Billy (Navy) 12-10,11-7,12-10
7. Richey,John R. (Navy) def. Michalsky,Filip (Bates) 7-11,11-9,7-11,11-4,13-11
8. Bottini,Mitchell (Navy) def. Arora,Caran (Bates) 11-8,11-7,11-5
9. Walker,Cotter (Navy) def. Shrubb,Jason (Bates) 11-6,5-11,11-7,11-7