NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates men's squash team opened play at the CSA Team Nationals with a 6-3 loss to rival and 10th-ranked Williams in the quarterfinal round of Hoehn Cup (B Division) play.
The Bobcats (13-10) drop into the consolation bracket, where they will face No. 14 Navy (24-8) on Saturday at 9am. Bates won at Navy by a 5-4 score on Nov. 18, 2012. Williams advances to play against No. 11 Columbia in the Hoehn Cup semifinals.
First-year phenom Ahmed Abdel Khalek (Cairo, Egypt) -- who was named NESCAC Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year yesterday by the New England Small College Athletic Conference -- won his 14th consecutive match at the No. 1 position, defeating Kevin Chen 3-0 (11-7, 11-8, 11-3) to raise his individual record this year to 18-1.
Bates also scored points at the fourth and fifth positions. At No. 4, senior R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) battled back from a 2-1 deficit to win in five games against Alexander Greaves-Tunnell, 11-5, 8-11, 3-11, 12-10, 11-9. At No. 5, sophomore Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.) got past Julian Drobetsky in four games (11-8, 11-9, 8-11, 11-8).
Bates accepted 3-2 losses at two other positions, which could have made the difference between winning and losing. First-year Filip Michalsky (Prague, Czech Republic) lost in a back-and-forth battle with Williams' Michael Petrick, while at No. 9, sophomore Jason Shrubb (Hamilton, Bermuda) got out to a 2-0 lead before falling to Ryan Eagan.
The Bobcats also won games at No. 2, in junior Kristian Muldoon's (Paget, Bermuda) match against Nick Marks, and at No. 8, in first-year Caran Arora's (Mumbai, India) match against Andrew Maruca.
It is the third time Bates has faced Williams this season -- Williams won the first meeting 8-1 at Williams on Jan. 13, then by a 6-3 score in the NESCAC Championship semifinals on Feb. 2.
Williams 6, Bates 3
Feb. 22, 2013 at Yale
1. Abdel Khalek, Ahmed M. (Bates) def. Chen, Kevin M. (Williams) 11-7, 11-8, 11-3
2. Muldoon, Kristian (Bates) def. by Marks, Nick (Williams) 11-8, 11-8, 11-13, 11-3
3. Cabot III, Walter M. (Bates) def. by Foehl, Taylor (Williams) 11-9, 12-10, 11-7
4. Keating, R.J. (Bates) def. Greaves-Tunnell, Alexander H. (Williams) 11-5, 8-11, 3-11, 12-10, 11-9
5. Cannon, Andy (Bates) def. Drobetsky, Julian (Williams) 11-8, 11-9, 8-11, 11-8
6. Saleem, Nabil (Bates) def. by Ervasti, Jack (Williams) 13-11, 11-5, 11-3
7. Michalsky, Filip (Bates) def. by Petrick, Michael A (Williams) 6-11, 12-10, 11-9, 5-11, 11-6
8. Arora, Caran (Bates) def. by Maruca, Andrew M. (Williams) 11-9, 13-11, 4-11, 11-7
9. Shrubb, Jason A (Bates) def. by Eagan, Ryan J (Williams) 9-11, 7-11, 12-10, 11-1, 11-8
Exh. Born, David (Bates) def. by Conroy, Tyler (Williams) 11-6, 11-7, 11-9