Ben Stein '09
MEDFORD, Mass. -- The Bates College men's tennis team won two out of three doubles matches in a NESCAC matchup Sunday at Tufts, but came out on the short end of several hotly contested battles in singles in a 6-3 loss.
Despite defeating highly ranked Williams in two of the three doubles on Saturday, Tufts (5-2) lost quickly at #1 doubles to the Bates pair of sophomore Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and first-year Max Berger (Concord, N.H.). The Bobcat first-year duo of Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) and Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) at #2 doubles showed very good hands and played aggressively to allow the Bobcats to go up 2-0. At third doubles, Jumbo senior tri-captain Corey Keller (Jericho, Vt.) and freshman Jon Trott (Milton, Mass.) made great kick serves and heavy forehands to keep the Bates duo off balance. Their win kept Tufts in the battle down 2-1 after the doubles.
Stein won again at No. 2 singles, defeating Keller 6-2, 6-4. But Fleder outlasted Rupasinghe in a marathon, 6-7 (11-9), 6-0, 7-5, and Tufts' Sean McCooey did the same against Bates first-year Mike Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) at No. 3 singles, 6-7 (8-6), 6-4, 6-1.
Bates (3-3) will host rival Bowdoin on Wednesday, April 4 at 4 p.m.
Tufts 6, Bates 3
1. Ben Stein/Max Berger (B) def. Sean McCooey/Geoff Loh (T) : 8-1
2. Amrit Rupasinghe/Ryan Mannelly (B) def. Will Fleder/Matt Gallin (T) : 8-4
3. Corey Keller/Jon Trott (T) def. Zach Fenno/Mike Reiss (B) : 8-4
1. Fleder (T) def. Rupasinghe (B) : 6-7 (11-9), 6-0, 7-5
2. Stein (B) def. Keller (T) : 6-2, 6-4
3. McCooey (T) def. Reiss (B) : 6-7 (8-6), 6-4, 6-1
4. Gallin (T) def. Berger (B) : 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Andrew Rosen (T) def. Fenno (B) : 6-4, 6-2
6. Craig Kunkes (T) def. Mike Sherman (B) : 6-0, 6-4