Men's tennis team defeats Bowdoin 5-4
Ben Stein '09
Max Berger '10
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College men's tennis team defeated rival Bowdoin College 5-4 on Wednesday inside Merrill Indoor Gymnasium, in the Bobcats' first head-to-head victory over the Polar Bears since April 8, 1999.
The Bobcats (4-3), ranked No. 24 in Division III, took two out of three doubles matches and split the singles matches, and they won despite the absence of two of their top five players: first-years Mike Reiss (flu) and Zach Fenno (knee).
Bowdoin, ranked No. 16 in Division III, dropped to 10-2. The Polar Bears play at MIT on Thursday. The Bobcats will host Middlebury on April 15.
Bates 5, Bowdoin 4
1. Ben Stein/Max Berger (Bates) def. Jamie Neely/Garrett Gates (Bowdoin), 8-5
2. Amrit Rupasinghe/Ryan Mannelly (Bates) def. Andrew Fried/Drew McDonald (Bowdoin), 8-6
3. Danilo Acosta/Adam Nielson (Bates) lost to Tyler Anderson/Alex White (Bowdoin), 9-7
1. Rupasinghe lost to Gates, 6-0, 7-5
2. Stein def. Alex Caughron (Bowdoin), 6-4, 6-0
3. Berger def. Neely, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Mike Sherman lost to White, 6-2 6-2
5. Acosta def. Adam Davis (Bowdoin), 6-4 7-5
6. Mannelly lost to Anderson, 3-6, 6-1, 6-0