No. 23 men's tennis team drops inter-regional match
SWARTHMORE, Pa. -- The No. 23 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team lost by a 6-3 score at Swarthmore College on Thursday. The Bobcats, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast, fell to 4-6 overall while the host Garnet, ranked 17th in the Atlantic Region, moved to 4-9.
Winning for Bates were first-year Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) at No. 2 singles, sophomore Michael Sherman (Huntington, N.Y.) at No. 6 singles, and the No. 1 doubles pair of sophomore Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and first-year Max Berger (Concord, N.H.).
Bates' men's and women's tennis teams both play at Connecticut College on Saturday.
Swarthmore 6, #23 Bates 3
1. Jon Reiss (SWAT) def. Benjamin Stein (BATES) 6-4, 6-3
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATES) def. Jonathan Lo (SWAT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Brian Nalitt (SWAT) def. Maxwell Berger (BATES) 6-3, 6-3
4. Willy Nolan (SWAT) def. Danilo Acosta (BATES) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kevin Shaughnessy (SWAT) def. Zach Fenno (BATES) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Michael Sherman (BATES) def. JJ England (SWAT) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
1. Benjamin Stein/Maxwell Berger (BATES) def. Jon Reiss/Jonathan Lo (SWAT) 8-6
2. Kevin Shaughnessy/Brian Nalitt (SWAT) def. Amrit Rupasinghe/Ryan Mannelly (BATES) 8-5
3. Mark Greenburg/Willy Nolan (SWAT) def. Adam Nielson/Danilo Acosta (BATES) 8-4