Men's tennis defeats Brandeis, 9-0
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College men's tennis team decisively defeated visiting Brandeis University in a non-conference match on Saturday in Merrill Indoor Gymasium. Bates raised its record this year to 5-2.
Junior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and sophomore Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) won at Nos. 1 and 2 singles, respectively, and teamed up to defeat Brandeis's Simon Miller and Scott Schulman in a hotly contested No. 1 doubles matchup, 9-8 (7). Sophomore Zach Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.), seniro Danilo Acosta (Quito, Ecuador) and sohpomore Michael Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) also went 2-0 in singles and doubles competition on the day.
Men's Tennis Result
March 15, 2008 at Lewiston, Maine
Bates 9, Brandeis 0
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (Bates) def. Simon Miller/Scott Schulman (Brandeis), 9-8 (7)
2. Zach Fenno/Danilo Acosta (Bates) def. Steven Nieman/Dor Almog (Brandeis), 8-5
3. Michael Reiss/Brett Hine (Bates) def. David Silver/Seth Rogers (Brandeis), 8-5
1. Stein def. Miller, 6-3, 6-1
2. Rupasinghe def. Nieman, 6-3, 6-3
3. Reiss def. Schulman, 6-3, 6-4
4. Max Berger (Bates) def. Silver, 6-1, 6-2
5. Fenno def. Almog, 6-2, 6-3
6. Acosta def. Rogers, 6-2,. 6-1