Men's tennis downs Tufts to go 8-3
LEWISTON, Maine -- Bates College defeated Tufts University 7-2 Saturday in a NESCAC men's tennis match between Northeast Region Division III Top Ten teams.
Bates' top doubles pair, junior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and sophomore Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka), paced the Bobcats (8-3, 2-2 NESCAC) with an 8-0 victory at No. 1 doubles, followed by two-set victories at Nos. 1 and 2 singles, respectively.
Bates, ranked 28th nationally and No. 7 in the Northeast, also received singles wins from sophomore Mike Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.), sophomore Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and sophomore Zach Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.). Berger and sophomore Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) took the No. 3 doubles match by an 8-6 score.
Tufts (6-4, 2-3 NESCAC), ranked No. 9 in the Northeast, won at No. 2 doubles behind senior William Fleder (New York, N.Y.) and first-year Paul Kohnstamm (Larchmont, N.Y.), plus a win at No. 6 singles by sophomore Jon Trott (Milton, Mass.).
Tufts will host Bowdoin tomorrow at 1 p.m. Bates next plays at Lehigh University on April 13.
Bates 7, Tufts 2
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Daniel Landers/Tony Carucci (T), 8-0
2. William Fledere/Paul Kohnstamm (T) def. Zach Fenno/Danilo Acosta (B), 8-6
3. Max Berger/Ryan Mannelly (B) def. Jake Fountain/Jon Trott (T), 8-6
1. Stein (B) def. Fleder (T), 6-4, 6-3
2. Rupasinghe (B) def. Fountain (T), 6-0, 6-2
3. Reiss (B) def. Andrew Rosen (T), 6-3, 6-2
4. Berger (B) def. Carucci (T), 6-4, 6-1
5. Fenno (B) def. Bryan Wilner (T), 6-2, 6-1
6. Trott (T) def. Acosta, 6-4, 6-0