Men's tennis rolls over Camels for fifth straight win
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College tennis team won its fifth straight match with a 9-0 defeat of Connecticut College in a NESCAC match Saturday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
The Bobcats, ranked No. 27 in Division III and No. 7 in the Northeast Region, raised their overall record this year to 12-3, 3-2 in NESCAC play. The Camels dropped to 3-13, 0-7 NESCAC.
Junior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and sophomore Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka), the No. 1 ranked doubles team in the Northeast, defeated the Camels' David Kellogg (Kula, Hawaii) and Trevor Prophet (Nashua, N.H.) 8-3 at No. 1 singles, starting a doubles sweep for Bates that set the tone for the remainder of the match. The Bobcats won the six singles matchups by an aggregate score of 72-8.
Bates plays another home NESCAC match tomorrow against Williams College at noon. Connecticut College plays at Coast Guard on Tuesday.
Bates College 9, Connecticut College 0
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Ben Stein (BATES) def. Kellogg/Prophet 8-3
2. Zach Fenno/Danilo Acosta (BATES) def. Watts/Larsen 8-6
3. Maxwell Berger/Ryan Mannelly (BATES) def. Stanton/McAusher 9-8(1)
1. Ben Stein (BATES) def. David Kellogg 6-1, 6-1
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATES) def. Trevor Prophet 6-1, 6-0
3. Michael Reiss (BATES) def. Ted McAusher 6-0, 6-4
4. Maxwell Berger (BATES) def. Andrew Watts 6-0, 6-0
5. Zach Fenno (BATES) def. Craig Stanton 6-1, 6-0
6. Danilo Acosta (BATES) def. Reid Larsen 6-0, 6-0