AMHERST, Mass. -- The No. 22 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team fell 8-1 at No. 7 Amherst in a NESCAC match on Saturday. Winning the Bobcats' lone point was the No. 1 doubles team of senior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and junior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka), who outlasted Moritz Koenig and Zack Lerner 9-8 (7-5).
Stein also battled Lerner at No. 1 singles before falling by a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 score. At No. 3 singles, junior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) played to a 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 loss against Koenig.
The Bobcats play at Connecticut College on Sunday.
For more on this story and what is going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Amherst 8, Bates 1
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Moritz Koenig/Zack Lerner (A), 9-8 (7-5)
2. Priit Gross/Austin Chafetz (A) def. Maxwell Berger/Ryan Mannelly (B), 8-2
3. Wes Waterman/Andrew Jung (A) def. Jeffrey Beaton/Zach Fenno (B), 8-4
1. Zack Lerner (A) def. Ben Stein (B) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Austin Chafetz (A) def. Amrit Rupasinghe (B) 6-0, 6-0
3. Moritz Koenig (A) def. Maxwell Berger (B) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
4. Andrew Jung (A) def. Michael Reiss (B) 6-0, 6-2
5. Priit Gross (A) def. Ryan Mannelly (B) 6-2, 6-3
6. Wes Waterman (A) def. Zach Fenno (B) 6-3, 6-1