Men's tennis loses for the first time this year
Junior captain Ryan Mannelly came closest to winning a set against the powerhouse Panthers.
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team accepted its first loss of the year in dual play, falling 9-0 at No. 4 Middlebury on Sunday.
Junior captain Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) came closest to winning a set for Bates (3-1), losing 7-5, 6-2 to Peter Odell at No. 5 singles.
The Bobcats will next play host to Southern Maine in a non-conference matchup on Friday at 4 p.m.
Middlebury 9, Bates 0
1. Conrad Olson (M) defeats Ben Stein, 6-1, 6-0
2. Andrew Thomson (M) defeats Amrit Rupasinghe, 6-1, 6-4
3. Andrew Lee (M) defeats Max Berger, 6-2, 6-3
4. Andy Peters (M) defeats Mike Reiss, 6-4, 6-2
5. Peter Odell (M) defeats Ryan Mannelly, 7-5, 6-2
6. Derrick Angle (M) defeats Zach Fenno, 6-1, 6-2
1. Thomson/David Farah (M) defeat Stein/Rupasinghe, 8-1
2. Peters/Olson (M) defeat Berger/Mannelly, 8-3
3. Rich Bonfiglio/Chris Mason (M) defeat Jeff Beaton/Fenno, 8-2