WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- The No. 24 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team played a tough, competitive match at No. 7-ranked Williams College on Monday, falling on the short end of a 7-2 score.
Bates' All-American doubles team of senior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and junior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) prevailed over Williams' Bret Thacher and Dicken Chaplin 9-7 at No. 1 doubles, but the Ephs (9-3, 4-1 NESCAC) won the other two doubles matches, requiring a tiebreaker to beat Bates juniors Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) at No. 2.
Berger won Bates' lone point in singles play, defeating Rick Devlin 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3 singles.
Bates (8-4, 3-4 NESCAC) will host Colby in another NESCAC match on Thursday at 4 p.m.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Williams 7, Bates 2
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Bret Thacher/Dicken Chaplin (W) 9-7
2. Nick Lebedoff/Will Petrie (W) def. Max Berger/Ryan Mannelly (B) 9-8 (1)
3. Jeremy Weinberger/Kevin Shallcross (W) def. Zach Fenno/Jeff Beaton (B) 8-0
1. Lebedoff (W) def. Stein (B) 6-3, 6-1
2. Weinberger (W) def. Rupasinghe (B) 6-3, 6-1
3. Berger (B) def. Rick Devlin (W) 6-3, 6-2
4. Shallcros (W) def. Mike Reiss (B) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
5. Karol Furmaga (W) def. Mannelly (B) 6-1, 6-1
6. Thacher (W) def. Fenno (B) 6-2, 7-6(3)