Bettles wins at singles vs. No. 1 Middlebury
LEWISTON, Maine -- Top-ranked Middlebury College recorded an 8-1 NESCAC win on Saturday against the No. 29 Bates College men's tennis team.
Bates drops to 6-3 overall and 1-1 in conference play, while Middlebury raises its mark to 2-0 in the NESCAC and 9-2 overall.
Bates first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) earned the Bobcats' lone point, beating Alex Parower 6-1, 6-1 at fourth singles.
Bates plays host to Connecticut College in another NESCAC match next Saturday at 3 p.m.; Middlebury plays at Trinity next Saturday.
Middlebury 8, Bates 1
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matthew Bettles (B) lost to Andrew Lee/Andrew Thomson (M) 8-5
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (B) lost to Eliot Jia/Conrad Olson (M) 8-4
3. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (B) lost to Eric Vehovec/Andrew Peters (M) 8-5
1. Rupasinghe (B) lost to Peters (M) 6-4, 6-1
2. Berger (B) lost to Lee (M) 6-3 6-4
3. Reiss (B) lost to Olson (M) 6-2, 6-0
4. Bettles (B) def. Alec Parower (M) 6-1, 6-1
5. Crampton (B) lost to Peter Odell (M) 6-2, 7-5
6. Fenno (B) lost to Jia (M) 6-1, 6-1