GAMBIER, Ohio -- Facing its highest-ranked opponent this season, the No. 29 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team lost at No. 6 Kenyon College by a 7-2 score on Saturday.
The Bobcats (5-2) wrap up their three-day trip through Ohio with a match against Case Western Reserve on Sunday.
Bates first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) figured in both of the Bobcats' points on the day. Bettles and senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) scored an 8-5 victory over Kenyon's Charles Brody and Michael Greenberg. Bettles also defeated Paul Burgin at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 7-6.
Greenberg, who won the 2008 NCAA singles championship at Bates, defeated Rupasinghe, the 2009 NCAA doubles champion with partner Ben Stein '09, at first singles in the day's lone three-set match, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.
#6 Kenyon College 7, #29 Bates College 2
1. Michael Greenberg (KENM) def. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATM) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Jeremy Polster (KENM) def. Michael Reiss (BATM) 6-2, 6-4
3. William VandenBerg (KENM) def. Max Berger (BATM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Matthew Bettles (BATM) def. Paul Burgin (KENM) 6-3, 7-6
5. Charles Brody (KENM) def. Zach Fenno (BATM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jake Matthews (KENM) def. Jeffrey Beaton (BATM) 7-6, 6-4
1. Matthew Bettles/Amrit Rupasinghe (BATM) def. Charles Brody/Michael
Greenberg (KENM) 8-5
2. Paul Burgin/William VandenBerg (KENM) def. Jeffrey Beaton/Max Berger
3. Jeremy Polster/Kevin Ye (KENM) def. Zach Fenno/Ryan Mannelly (BATM) 8-5