LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College men's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with a 6-3 NESCAC victory over Tufts University on Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
Bates, ranked No. 26 nationally and No. 7 in New England, finishes 11-6 overall and 5-4 in NESCAC play. Tufts, ranked No. 14 in New England, drops to 7-8 overall and 3-5 in the NESCAC. Bates hopes to be named when the six-team field for the NESCAC Men's Tennis Championship is announced on Monday.
Tufts seized a 2-1 lead after doubles play, as Kai Victoria and Jake Fountain topped senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) and first-year Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) at first doubles, while Paul Kohnstamm and Daniel Landers prevailed 8-3 over Bates senior Zach Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.) and first-year Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) at third doubles.
Rupasinghe and Bettles avenged their doubles loss by winning the top two singles matches. Senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.), who teamed up with sophomore Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) to win at second doubles for Bates, also prevailed in straight sets at third singles. Senior Mike Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) won in straight sets at fourth singles, and Crampton prevailed in a hard-fought match over Ben Barad at fifth singles.
The match marked Senior Day for five Bates players: Berger, Fenno, Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.), Reiss and Rupasinghe.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 6, Tufts 3
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matt Bettles (B) def. by Kai Victoria/Jake Fountain (T) 9-7
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (B) def Ben Barad/Andrew Lutz (T) 8-5
3. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (B) def by Paul Kohnstamm/Daniel Landers (T) 8-3
1. Rupasinghe (B) def Fountain (T) 6-0,6-3
2. Bettles (B) def Andrew Rosen (T) 6-3,6-3
3. Berger (B) def Victoria (T) 6-4,6-1
4. Mike Reiss (B) def Sam Laber (T) 6-1,6-3
5. Crampton (B) def Barad (T) 3-6,7-6(4),10-7
6. Fenno (B) def by Lutz (T) 7-5,4-6,10-4