Men's tennis beats visiting Hamilton, 5-0
LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 29 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team defeated visiting Hamilton 5-0 on Sunday in a NESCAC match played to decision.
Bates (8-4, 3-2 NESCAC) took a 3-0 lead after doubles play, where the closest match was an 8-6 win for Bobcat sophomore Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) and senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) at second doubles over Hamilton's Jon Franzel and Peter Erwin.
In singles play, senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) defeated Franzel 6-0, 6-1 at first singles. The match was clinched for the hosts when Bettles finished off a 6-2, 6-1 win over Gregory Kreitzer at No. 3 singles.
Hamilton (6-9, 1-5 NESCAC) next plays at St. Lawrence University on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
The Bobcats have a match at The College of New Jersey on Wednesday, starting at 10 a.m. Bates is ranked No. 7 in the Northeast, while TCNJ is ranked ninth.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 5, Hamilton 0
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matthew Bettles (B) def Michael Moreno/Jordan Petit (H) 8-4
2. Jeffrey Beaton/Max Berger (B) def Jon Franzel/Peter Erwin (H) 8-6
3. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (B) def Gregory Kreitzer/Coby Berman (H) 8-2
1. Rupasinghe (B) def Franzel (H) 6-0, 6-1
2. Berger (B) led Petit (H) 6-0, 5-0
3. Bettles (B) def Kreitzer (H) 6-2, 6-1
4. Mike Reiss (B) led Moreno (H) 6-0, 5-2
5. Crampton (B) vs Erwin (H)
6. Fenno (B) vs Berman (H)