No. 9 Amherst downs men's tennis team, 8-1
Amrit Rupasinghe '10 paired with Matthew Bettles '13 in a closely contested match at first doubles.
LEWISTON, Maine -- Ninth-ranked Amherst College took a 3-0 lead after doubles play and notched an 8-1 NESCAC conference victory over the Bates College men's tennis team on Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
The Lord Leffs' (17-6, 4-0 NESCAC) top player, Austin Chafetz, paired with Robby Sorrel to outbattle Bates senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) and first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) by a 9-7 score at No. 1 doubles. Chafetz went on to shut out Rupasinghe at first singles to set the tone for the rest of the team.
Bates (7-4, 2-2 NESCAC), ranked No. 29 in Division III, got its one point from the fourth singles spot, where Bettles defeated Moritz Koenig in a second-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-6(5).
Bates is off for the next week to take final exams. The Bobcats will host Hamilton in a NESCAC match next Sunday, April 18, at 10 a.m. Amherst hosts Hamilton on April 17 at 10 a.m.
For more on this story and what's going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Amherst 8, Bates 1
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matthew Bettles (B) lost to Austin Chafetz/Robby Sorrel (A) 9-7
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (B) lost to Mark Kahan/Moritz Koenig (A) 8-1
3. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (B) lost to Sean Doerfler/Wes Waterman (A) 8-3
1. Rupasinghe (B) lost to Chafetz (A) 6-0, 6-0
2. Berger (B) lost to Kahan (A) 4-6, 6-3, 10-2
3. Bettles (B) def Koenig (A) 6-2, 7-6(5)
4. Mike Reiss (B) lost to Waterman (A) 6-3, 6-4
5. Crampton (B) lost to Priit Gross (A) 7-5, 1-6, 10-2
6. Fenno (B) lost to Doerfler (A) 6-2, 6-3