Bettles, Crampton go 2-0 for men's tennis at No. 22 MIT
|For the third straight time, Matt Bettles '13 (above) and Rob Crampton '13 teamed up to win at first doubles, and both earned singles victories as well, in Bates' narrow loss to MIT. (File photo)|
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- In a tightly contested affair, No. 22 nationally ranked MIT outlasted the No. 24 Bates men's tennis team for its fourth win in a row, 5-4 on Saturday afternoon at JB Carr Tennis Bubble.
The Engineers (4-1) grabbed two points in the doubles round, although Bates was able to win 8-4 at first singles through sophomores Robert Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) and Matt Bettles (Taunton, England), who got the best of Larry Pang and Curtis Wu. MIT battled back and Matthew Skalak and Ken Van Tilburg beat Bates first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and senior Sam Woods (Cambridge, N.Y.) 8-4 to even up the match. MIT grabbed the advantage after a third doubles win by Andrew Cooper and Edwing Zhang (8-3) over Bates junior Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) and sophomore Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.).
Bates (3-3) was strong at the top again in singles, as Bettles and Crampton each were victorious. Bettles got the better of Van Tilburg (6-1, 6-3) and Crampton was too much for Pang, beating him 6-1, 6-4.
It was the lower half of the MIT singles roster that took the victory, thanks to wins by Zhang, Skalak, and Brian Oldfield. Skalak beat DeSisto 6-4, 6-1 at sixth singles while Zhang beat Berg by a 7-5, 6-1 count.
Bates first-year Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) won a drawn-out battle against Wu at No. 5 singles, 6-4, 2-6, 10-8.
Bates will travel March 18th to play at Mary Washington.
MIT 5, Bates College 4
Mar 12, 2011 at Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
1. Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Robert Crampton (BATES) def. Larry Pang (MIT) 6-1, 6-4
3. Edwin Zhang (MIT) def. Tim Berg (BATES) 7-5, 6-1
4. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Jeffrey Beaton (BATES) 6-4, 6-3
5. Peter Yanofsky (BATES) def. Curtis Wu (MIT) 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
6. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Kyle DeSisto (BATES) 6-4, 6-1
1. Robert Crampton/Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Larry Pang/Curtis Wu (MIT) 8-4
2. Matthew Skalak/Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Tim Berg/Samuel Woods (BATES) 8-4
3. Andrew Cooper/Edwin Zhang (MIT) def. Jeffrey Beaton/Kyle DeSisto (BATES) 8-3