|Matt Bettles '13 (above) and Rob Crampton '13 team up to win at first doubles, and both earned singles victories as well. (File photo)|
SATELLITE BEACH, Fla. -- The Bates College men's tennis team notched its first win on Thursday with a 5-4 defeat of Florida Tech at the DeSoto Tennis Courts.
Bates (1-2), rated No. 26 in the last ITA Division III rankings, won two out of three doubles matches then split the singles competition with the host Panthers (1-7), who are ranked No. 41 in Division II.
Sophomores Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) prevailed in a 9-8 battle over Michael Schmidt and Cory Hodes at No. 1 doubles. First-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and senior Sam Woods (Cambridge, N.Y.) notched an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles over Drew Hollis and Barry Dylewski for the all-important 2-1 edge going into singles play.
Bettles, Berg and Crampton, respectively, swept the top three singles matches for Bates, all in straight sets. Senior Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) was outlasted at No. 4 singles by Jorge Abarca Montero in a super-tiebreaker, 6-4, 4-6, 10-6.
The Bobcats return to action on March 4, when they'll host a pair of non-conference opponents in Babson (3:30 p.m.) and Southern Maine (8 p.m.).
Bates 5, Florida Tech 4
Feb. 24, 2011 at Satellite Beach, Fla.
1. Matt Bettles (B) def. Michael Schmidt (FT) 6-0, 6-2
2. Tim Berg (B) def. Cory Hodes (FT) 6-1, 7-5
3. Rob Crampton (B) def. Drew Hollis (FT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jorge Abarca Montero (FT) def. Jeff Beaton (B) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
5. D.J. Pate (FT) def. Peter Yanofsky (B) 6-4, 6-2
6. Barry Dylewski (FT) def. Kyle DeSisto (B) 6-4, 6-1
1. Bettles/Crampton (B) def. Schmidt/Hodes (FT) 9-8
2. Berg/Sam Woods (B) def. Hollis/Dylewski (FT) 8-4
3. Montero/Eddie Shelton (FT) def. Beaton/DeSisto 8-5