Matt Bettles '13 won at singles and doubles against the Jumbos, along with Rob Crampton '13 and Tim Berg '14. (File photo)
MEDFORD, Mass. -- The No. 24 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team won two out of three doubles matches, then split singles play to notch a 5-4 NESCAC victory at Tufts University on Friday.
Bates (8-9, 3-4 NESCAC) wraps up the regular season on Saturday at Williams, starting at 2 p.m.
Bates sophomores Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) along with first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.), swept the top three singles matches, all by identical 6-2, 6-2 scores. All three players figured in Bates' doubles wins as well, with Bettles and Crampton edging Kai Victoria and Andrew Lutz 9-7 at No. 1 doubles, and Berg teaming up with sophomore Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) to win 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
The most recent ITA Northeast Region rankings, from April 14, had Bates ranked eighth and the Jumbos (11-6, 4-3 NESCAC) 10th.
Bates 5, Tufts 4
April 29, 2011 at Tufts
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Kai Victoria/Andrew Lutz (T) 9-7
2. Morrie Bossen/Mark Westerfield (T) def. Sam Woods/Jeff Beaton (B) 8-1
3. Kyle DeSisto/Timmy Berg (B) def. Paul Kohnstamm/Pat Monaghan (T) 8-6
1. Bettles (B) def. Victoria (T) 6-2, 6-2
2. Crampton (B) def. Lutz (T) 6-2, 6-2
3. Berg (B) def. Ben Barad (T) 6-2, 6-2
4. Monaghan (T) def. Beaton (B) 6-4, 6-0
5. Austin Blau (T) def. Ben Bogard (B) 6-1, 6-0
6. Tony Carucci (T) def. DeSisto (B) 6-4, 6-2