Jeff Beaton '12 was one of five Bobcats to win twice during Bates' victory at Connecticut College. (File photo)
AMHERST, Mass. -- The No. 24 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team played No. 4 Amherst tough, but the Lord Jeffs prevailed in each individual match on Sunday in a 9-0 NESCAC win for the hosts, who rose to 7-0 in conference play and 28-1 overall.
Bates (7-8, 2-3 NESCAC) lost a pair of competitive doubles matches: first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) fell 8-6 at No. 3 doubles to Sean Doerfler and Justin Reindel, while at first doubles the sophomore pair of Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Robert Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) lost 8-5 to Moritz Koenig and Wes Waterman.
Berg went on to win eight games in a two-set loss to Andrew Jung at third singles, while Bettles won seven games against Luis Rattenhuber at first singles.
On Saturday the Bobcats rolled over Connecticut College 9-0 in New London, Conn., dropping the Camels to 10-10 overall and 0-7 in the NESCAC. The Bobcats prevailed in three competitive doubles matches, then won four out of six singles matches in two sets. Going 2-0 on the day for Bates were Bettles, Crampton, junior Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.), Berg and DeSisto.
Bates College 9, Connecticut College 0
April 23, 2011 at Connecticut College
1. Matt Bettles (BC), def. Trevor Prophet (CC), 6-1, 1-6, 7-6
2. Robert Crampton (BC), def. Jeff Weisberger (CC), 7-5, 7-6
3. Tim Berg (BC), def. George King (CC), 6-0, 6-4
4. Jeffrey Beaton (BC), def. Craig Stanton (CC), 6-3, 7-6
5. Ben Bogard (BC), def. Jeremy Bader (CC), 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
6. Kyle DeSisto (BC), def. Huan Nguyen (CC), 6-3, 6-0
1. Bettles/Crampton (BC), def. Prophet/King (CC), 8-6
2. Sam Wood/Beaton (BC), def. Weisberger/Stanton (CC), 9-7
3. Berg/DeSisto, (BC), def. Mike DeCorato/Will Tucker (CC), 8-5
Amherst 9, Bates 0
April 24, 2011 at Amherst
1) Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) def. Matt Bettles/Robert Crampton (B) 8-5
2) Luis Rattenhuber/Andrew Jung (A) def. Samuel Woods/Jeffrey Beaton (B) 8-2
3) Sean Doerfler/Justin Reindel (A) def. Tim Berg/Kyle DeSisto (B) 8-6
1) Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Matt Bettles (B) 6-3, 6-4
2) Wes Waterman (A) def. Robert Crampton (B) 6-2, 6-2
3) Andrew Jung (A) def. Tim Berg (B) 6-3, 7-5
4) Moritz Koenig (A) def. Jeffrey Beaton (B) 6-1, 6-4
5) Justin Reindel (A) def. Ben Bogard (B) 6-3, 6-2
6) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Kyle DeSisto (B) 6-1, 6-0