|Matt Bettles '13 (above), Rob Crampton '13, Tim Berg '14 and Ben Bogard '14 all won twice in Bates' 7-2 victory over Colby. (File photo)|
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College men's tennis team cruised to a 7-2 victory over Colby College on Wednesday evening in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium, dealing the Mules their first loss of the year in the NESCAC conference opener for both teams.
Bates, ranked No. 23 nationally and No. 7 in the Northeast, raised its record to 6-4 overall and 1-0 in the NESCAC. Colby, ranked No. 15 in the Northeast, dropped to 5-1, 0-1.
Bates seized a 3-0 lead after doubles play. The Bobcats had to claw for the win at second doubles, where first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and senior Sam Woods (Cambridge, N.Y.) edged Robbie Yee and Sam Bachelder in a tiebreaker. Bates sophomores Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) teamed up for an 8-3 win at first doubles, and junior Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) and first-year Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) won 8-5 at third doubles.
Bates dominated the top three singles matches, with Bettles beating Colby freshman Jason Ottomano, Crampton handling Colby junior Than Moore and Berg defeating Matt Carroll, all in straight sets.
Bates next plays at Brandeis on Saturday at 12 p.m. in a non-conference match to face the Judges, ranked eighth in the Northeast. The Mules will host Trinity in another NESCAC match on Sunday.
Bates 7, Colby 2
March 30, 2011 at Bates (Merrill Gymnasium)
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Jack Bryant/Matt Carroll (C), 8-3
2. Tim Berg/Sam Woods (B) def. Robbie Yee/Sam Bachelder (C), 9-8(5)
3. Jeff Beaton/Ben Bogard (B) def. Jason Ottomano/Luke Martin (C), 8-5
1. Bettles (B) def. Ottomano (C), 6-2, 6-3
2. Crampton (B) def. Than Moore (C), 6-2, 6-2
3. Berg (B) def. Carroll (C), 6-2, 6-1
4. Bryant (C) def. Peter Yanofsky (B), 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
5. Bogard (B) def. Martin (C), 6-4, 6-1
6. Matt Mantikas (C) def. Eric Ruta (B), 1-6, 7-5, 10-4