|Jeff Beaton '12 scored wins at both third doubles and fourth singles for Bates against the 25th-ranked Eagles. (File photo)|
FREDERICKSBURG, va. -- The No. 23 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team scored a decisive 7-2 win at the No. 25 ranked University of Mary Washington on Friday, taking two out of three doubles matches and grinding out some tough singles wins.
Bates raised its record to 4-3, while the host Eagles dipped to 4-7.
Four Bobcats went 2-0 on the day with wins at both doubles and singles, including top doubles pair Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), who coasted to an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles over Kaz Murata and Sam Wichlin, before Bettles defeated Wichlin and Crampton topped Murata in a pair of straight-straight set victories. First-year Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) pulled off the 2-0 feat at No. 2 doubles and No. 3 singles, and junior Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) did the same at third doubles and fourth singles.
Bates plays at Johns Hopkins University on Sunday at 11 a.m.
Bates 7, Mary Washington 2
March 18, 2011 at Fredericksburg, Va. (UMW Outdoor)
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Kaz Murata/Sam Wichlin (UMW) 8-1
2. Timmy Berg/Sam Woods (B) def. Riley Baver/Kevin Aquino (UMW) 8-3
3. Will Apperson/Alex Blakhin (UMW) def. Jeff Beaton/Kyle DeSisto (B) 8-3
1. Bettles def. Wichlin 6-4, 6-2
2. Crampton def. Murata 6-4, 7-5
3. Berg def. Apperson 6-1, 6-2
4. Beaton def. Blakhin 6-4, 6-4
5. Baver def. Peter Yanofsky (B) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Ben Bogard (B) def. Aquino 7-6(4), 6-4