|Jeff Beaton '12 won two team points with victories at second doubles and fourth singles. (File photo)|
WALTHAM, Mass. -- Brandeis, ranked 30th in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, upset the No. 21 Bates College men's tennis team Saturday afternoon on the Gosman indoor tennis courts. With the win, the Judges improves to 8-4 on the season, while the Bobcats fall to 6-5.
The Judges won the doubles competition, 2-1, with wins in the second and third positions. In the first spot, seniors Nick White and Simon Miller -- ranked fifth in the region -- fell to Bates' 13th ranked pair of sophomores Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Robert Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), 8-5. Dave Yovanoff and Steven Nieman defeated first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and senior Samuel Woods (Cambridge, Mass.) 8-4 in the second spot, while Ezra Bernstein and Josh Jordan topped junior Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) and first-year Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) 8-3 in the third position.
Brandeis earned two major upsets in singles action, going 4-2 over the Bobcats. Miller defeated the third-ranked Bettles in the first position, going 6-3, 7-5. White topped the 19th-ranked Crampton in the second position in three sets, defeating him 7-5, 4-6, 6-3. The Judges clinched the win in the fourth seed, when Jordan took the win over Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.), 6-4, 6-2. In the final match of the day, Nieman took a 2-6, 6-2 (11-9) victory over Bogard to give the Judges a 6-3 victory.
Gaining singles wins for the Bobcats were Berg over Yovanoff at No. 3, and Beaton over Bernstein at No. 4.
Bates plays again on April 17, hosting Middlebury in a NESCAC tilt at 2 p.m.
Brandeis 6, Bates 3
Apr 2, 2011 at Waltham, Mass.
1. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Matt Bettles (BATES) 6-3, 7-5
2. Nick White (BRMTEN) def. Robert Crampton (BATES) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
3. Tim Berg (BATES) def. Dave Yovanoff (BRMTEN) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Jeffrey Beaton (BATES) def. Ezra Bernstein (BRMTEN) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 (10-7)
5. Josh Jordan (BRMTEN) def. Peter Yanofsky (BATES) 6-4, 6-2
6. Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) def. Ben Bogard (BATES) 2-6, 6-2, 11-9
1. Matt Bettles/Robert Crampton (BATES) def. Simon Miller/Nick White (BRMTEN) 8-5
2. Dave Yovanoff/Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) def. Tim Berg/Samuel Woods (BATES) 8-4
3. Ezra Bernstein/Josh Jordan (BRMTEN) def. Jeffrey Beaton/Ben Bogard (BATES) 8-3