LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team nearly pulled off an upset of top-ranked Amherst on Saturday, but the Lord Jeffs left town with a 5-4 NESCAC victory.
While Amherst (19-2, 2-0 NESCAC) duo Austin Chafetz and Luis Rattenhuber won 8-3 at first doubles over Bates' Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), the Bobcats pulled out two tough matches at second and third doubles to assume a 2-1 lead. Sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and first-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) defeated Mark Kahan and Chris Dale in a tiebreaker, 9-8(7-5), while at No. 3 Robby Sorrel and Wes Waterman of Amherst pushed Bates junior Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) to needing a ninth game to prevail, 9-7.
Crampton and Planche won at third and fifth singles, respectively, for the Bobcats, with Planche defeating Waterman in straight sets. Crampton bounced back from losing the second set in a tiebreaker to Joey Fritz to win the decisive third set by a 6-3 score. Rattenhuber edged Bettles in the closest singles match of the day, the one that nearly tipped the team score in Bates' favor.
The Bobcats (5-5, 0-2 NESCAC) play at No. 10 Bowdoin on Tuesday at 3pm.
Amherst 5, Bates 4
April 7, 2012 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gym)
1. Austin Chafetz/Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) 8-3
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) def. Mark Kahan/Chris Dale 9-8(7-5)
3. Kyle DeSisto/Peter Yanofsky (B) def. Robby Sorrel/Wes Waterman 9-7
1. Chafetz (A) def. Berg (B) 6-2, 7-6(7)
2. Rattenhuber (A) def. Bettles (B) 7-6(2), 5-7, 6-4
3. Crampton (B) def. Joey Fritz (A) 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-3
4. Andrew Jung (A) def. Jeff Beaton (B) 6-1, 6-2
5. Planche (B) def. Waterman (A) 6-1, 7-5
6. Dale (A) def. DeSisto (B) 6-2, 6-4