BALTIMORE, Md. -- The Bates men's tennis team continued to make a mockery of early-season national rankings on Sunday, rolling over the fourth-ranked team in Division III, Johns Hopkins, by a 7-2 score.
In winning their fourth consecutive match, the 29th-ranked Bobcats (4-4) defeated a higher-ranked opponent for the third time in the past eight days -- they defeated No. 28 MIT 6-3 on March 17, and yesterday they won 7-2 at No. 16 Mary Washington.
Also for the fourth straight match, Bates took a commanding 3-0 lead going into singles competition. Bates juniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), won 8-4 over Johns Hopkins' Jacob Barnaby and Warren Elgort. Junior Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) won 8-5 at No. 3, the closest of the three doubles contests.
Sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.), the fifth-ranked singles player in the Northeast, defeated the No. 8-ranked player in the Atlantic South region, Tanner Brown, 7-6, 6-2, to pace the Bobcats in the second portion of the match. Bettles won with relative ease at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2 over Ben Hwang, while Crampton also won in two sets at No. 3 over Jensen Reiter. First-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.), who teamed up with Berg to win at second doubles, completed his undefeated day by pulling out the win at No. 5 singles in the longest match of the day, 6-7, 7-5, 6-2. The Blue Jays (5-4) got their two points at fourth and sixth singles.
Bates will play host to Brandeis on Saturday, in the second match of a doubleheader with the women's teams that starts at 11am. (Video).
Bates 7, Johns Hopkins 2
Mar 25, 2012 at Baltimore, MD (Greenspring Racket Club)
1. Matt Bettles/Robert Crampton (BATES) def. Jacob Barnaby/Warren Elgort (JHUM) 8-4
2. Tim Berg/Pierre Planche (BATES) def. Tanner Brown/Erik Lim (JHUM) 8-3
3. Kyle DeSisto/Peter Yanofsky (BATES) def. Ben Hwang/Noah Joachim (JHUM) 8-5
1. Tim Berg (BATES) def. Tanner Brown (JHUM) 7-6, 6-2
2. Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Ben Hwang (JHUM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Robert Crampton (BATES) def. Jensen Reiter (JHUM) 6-1, 7-6
4. Warren Elgort (JHUM) def. Jeffrey Beaton (BATES) 6-2, 6-4
5. Pierre Planche (BATES) def. Erik Lim (JHUM) 6-7, 7-5, 6-2
6. Noah Joachim (JHUM) def. Kyle DeSisto (BATES) 6-4, 6-2