LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 29 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team defeated No. 28 MIT 6-3 in a non-conference matchup of regional powers on Saturday in Merrill Gymnasium. The visiting Engineers are ranked seventh in the Northeast this week, while the Bobcats are rated eighth.
Bates (1-4) seized a 3-0 lead over MIT (5-4) in doubles play to take control of the match. The closest of the three doubles matches was an 8-3 decision at No. 1 by juniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), the third-ranked doubles team in the Northeast. Bates dominated with 8-1 wins by both sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and first-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) at No. 2 and by junior Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) at No. 3.
Edwin Zhang scored a surprise 6-3, 7-6(5) win at first singles over Berg, the fifth-ranked singles player in the Northeast, but the Bobcats made up for it with two-set wins at second and third singles by Bettles and Crampton. Fourth, fifth and sixth singles all went to third-set tiebreakers, with DeSisto helping to clinch the win by winning 3-6, 6-2, 10-7 at sixth singles for a 2-0 day.
Bates travels south next week to play at Washington College on March 23, at the University of Mary Washington on March 24 and at Johns Hopkins on March 25.
Bates 6, MIT 3
March 17, 2012 at Bates
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Edwin Zhang/Matthew Skalak (MIT) 8-3
2. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Eugene Oh/Curtis Wu (MIT) 8-1
3. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto (Bates) def. Larry Pang/Brian Oldfield (MIT) 8-1
1. Zhang (MIT) def. Berg (Bates) 6-3, 7-6(5)
2. Bettles (Bates) def. Oldfield (MIT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Crampton (Bates) def. Oh (MIT) 6-4, 6-1
4. Elia Harmatz (MIT) def. Jeff Beaton (Bates) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
5. Pang (MIT) def. Planche (Bates) 6-4, 3-6, 10-3
6. DeSisto (Bates) def. Wu (MIT) 3-6, 6-2, 10-7