LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's tennis team swept Tufts University 9-0 in a NESCAC match played Friday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium due to high winds outdoors.
Bates, ranked 15th in Division III and fourth in the Northeast by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, rose to 9-6 overall and 4-3 in NESCAC play; Tufts, ranked ninth in the Northeast Region, dropped to 9-9 overall, 2-5 in the NESCAC.
Bates sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.), the sixth-ranked singles player in the Northeast, defeated the 22nd-ranked player in the region, Tufts' Ben Barad, by a 6-2, 6-1 score at No. 1 singles. Junior Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) switched singles spots with doubles partner Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and won 6-2, 6-2 over Andrew Lutz at second singles, while Bettles won 6-3, 6-1 at third singles.
The Jumbos had their most doubles success at No. 1, where Lutz and Matt Pataro lost 9-7 to Bettles and Crampton, the third-ranked duo in the region. In singles, Pataro fell to Bates first-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) in a pro-set tiebreaker, while Sam Laber fell to Bates senior captain Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.), who came back from a set down to win decisively in the pro-set tiebreaker.
Sophomore Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) teamed up with sophomore Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) for an 8-3 win at third doubles, and Bogard also rang up a straight-sets win at sixth singles.
The Bobcats wrap up the regular season with two matches on Sunday, facing NESCAC rival Williams at 10am before hosting the University of Southern Maine at 4pm.
Tufts finishes its season with a 3:30pm match on Sunday at Colby.
Bates 9, Tufts 0
April 27, 2012 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gym)
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Andrew Lutz/Matt Pataro (T) 9-7
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) def. Ben Barad/Sam Laber (T) 8-3
3. Peter Yanofsky/Ben Bogard (B) def. Morrie Bossen/Mark Westerfield (T) 8-3
1. Berg (B) def. Barad (T) 6-2, 6-1
2. Crampton (B) def. Lutz (T) 6-2, 6-2
3. Bettles (B) def. Austin Blau (T) 6-3, 6-1
4. Planche (B) def. Pataro (T) 6-4, 4-6, (10-7)
5. Jeff Beaton (B) def. Laber (T) 1-6, 6-3, (10-4)
6. Bogard (B) def. Brian Tan (T) 6-3, 6-3