MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- In a match full of closely-played sets, No. 7 nationally ranked Middlebury outscored No. 26 Bates men's tennis team on Sunday in the NESCAC opener for both teams.
The Bobcats (0-4) won at the top spot in both doubles and singles. The junior tandem of Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) and Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) edged the ninth-ranked doubles team in Division III, Andrew Lebovitz and Brantner Jones, 9-8.
Sophomore Timmy Berg (Boca Raton, Fla.) continued his impressive early-season play with a 6-4, 6-3 win at first singles over Alec Parower. Both Crampton and Bettles fell in three-set battles at third and second singles, respectively, which proved to the be the difference between a win and a loss for the Bobcats.
Bates hosts No. 25 MIT on Saturday, March 17 starting at 2:30pm (Video).
Middlebury 7, Bates 2
March 11, 2012 at Middlebury
1. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (B) def. Andrew Lebovitz/Brantner Jones (M), 9-8
2. Alec Parower/Derrick Angle (M) def. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B), 8-3
3. Spencer Lunghino/David Farah (M) def. Jeff Beaton/Peter Yanofsky (B) 8-4
1. Berg (B) def. Parower (M) 6-4, 6-3
2. Angle (M) def. Bettles (B) 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-2
3. Jones (M) def. Crampton (B) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Lunghino (M) def. Beaton (B) 7-5, 6-0
5. Teddy Fitzgibbons (M) def. Pierre Planche (B) 7-6(3), 6-1
6. Zach Bruchmiller (M) def. Kyle DeSisto (B) 6-2, 6-0