LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates College men's tennis team won its fifth straight match on Saturday, rolling past Brandeis University 9-0.
The host Bobcats (5-4) and the visiting Judges (2-6) are ranked eighth and 10th, respectively, in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's most recent Northeast Region rankings, which came out March 15.
Bates doubles teams have gone undefeated for five straight matches, too. At No. 1, juniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) upended Ezra Bernstein and Dave Yovanoff 8-2. Sophomore Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) and junior Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) registered an 8-3 win over Ben Fine and Michael Secular at third singles, and the Bobcats made it a clean sweep at No. 2 doubles, with an 8-5 decision over Josh Jordan and Alec Siegel.
Bernstein earned Brandeis's lone set win at No. 4 singles, in a 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 loss to Bates senior captain Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.). Berg, Bettles, Crampton, Planche and DeSisto all went 2-0 on the day for the Bobcats.
Bates plays host to Amherst in a NESCAC match next Saturday at 1pm (Video)
Bates 9, Brandeis 0
March 31, 2012 at Merrill Indoor Gym
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Ezra Bernstein/Dave Yovanoff (Brandeis) 8-2
2. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Josh Jordan/Alec Siegel (Brandeis) 8-5
3. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto (Bates) def. Ben Fine/Michael Secular (Brandeis) 8-3
1. Berg (Bates) def. Jordan (Brandeis) 6-1, 7-5
2. Bettles (Bates) def. Yovanoff (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-3
3. Crampton (Bates) def. Siegel (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-0
4. Jeff Beaton (Bates) def. Bernstein (Brandeis) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Planche (Bates) def. Secular (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-3
6. DeSisto (Bates) def. Adam Brown (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-2