NEW LONDON, Conn. -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates College men’s tennis team cruised to an 8-1 win at Connecticut College Saturday.
The Bobcats improve their record to 6-7 with a 3-3 record in the NESCAC, while the Camels fall to 2-9 with a 0-4 mark in the conference.
Senior Robert Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) posted a 7-5, 6-2 victory to lead the Bobcats at #1 singles. Crampton joined forces with classmate Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) in an 8-0 triumph at #1 doubles.
Going 2-0 on the day with victories at both singles and doubles, along with Crampton and Bettles, were junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.).
Bates plays its third NESCAC match on the road in four days on Sunday at Hamilton (3pm).
Bates College 8, Connecticut College 1
1. Crampton/Bettles (B) def. Deeter/Kraiger (CC) 8-0
2. Pierre Planche/Berg (B) def. Cangelosi/Suneby(CC) 8-5
3. Lee/Bogard (B) def. Stephen Jones/Emil Henry (CC) 8-1
1. Robert Crampton (B) def. Joshua Suneby (CC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Matt Bettles (B) def. JC Cangelosi (CC) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
3. Timmy Berg (B) def. Jonathan Deeter (CC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) def. Henry Lee (B) 7-6, 6-4
5. Eric Ruta (B) def. Huan Nguyen (CC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ben Bogard (B) def. Will Tucker (CC) 6-2, 6-1