AMHERST, Mass. -- No. 19 Amherst edged the No. 21 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team 5-4 in a NESCAC showdown on Saturday, after winning two out of three doubles matches.
Bates seniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) won the lone doubles point for the Bobcats (5-6, 2-2 NESCAC), 8-5 over Joey Fritz and Aaron Revzin. The Lord Jeffs (16-7, 2-0 NESCAC) won 8-5 at No. 2 and 8-1 at No. 3 doubles.
Crampton then came back from a set down to defeat Fritz in a super-tiebreaker at No. 1 singles. Junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) were both winners, at third and fourth singles, respectively, with Planche also prevailing in a super-tiebreaker.
Bates next plays at Williams on April 18 at 4pm.
Amherst 5, Bates 4
April 6, 2013 at Amherst
1. Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Joey Fritz (Amherst) 4-6,6-4,11/9
2. Mark Kahan (Amherst) def. Matt Bettles (Bates) 6-3,6-2
3. Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Andrew Yaraghi (Amherst) 6-4,6-3
4. Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Benjamin Fife (Amherst) 6-7,6-0,10/7
5. Chris Dale (Amherst) def. Henry Lee (Bates) 6-4,6-0
6. Justin Reindel (Amherst) def. Eric Ruta (Bates) 6-1,6-0
1. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) def. Joey Fritz/Aaron Revzin (Amherst) 8-5
2. Mark Kahan/Michael Solimano (Amherst) def. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) 8-5
3. Andrew Yaraghi/Benjamin Fife (Amherst) def. Henry Lee/Ben Bogard (Bates) 8-1