LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team edged Trinity 5-4 in NESCAC play on Saturday in a matchup of fellow top-10 ranked teams in the Northeast Region.
Bates (8-8, 5-4 NESCAC), ranked seventh in the Northeast by the ITA, will play host to Wesleyan tomorrow at 10am in the Bobcats' regular season finale.
Trinity (6-10, 1-7 NESCAC), ranked ninth in the Northeast, took three singles victories to keep the team score close, as Ford Traff won at No. 3, Musyoka Mbithi won at No. 5 and Aaron Segel won at No. 6. The Bantams saw their regular season come to a close.
Bates prevailed in two out of three doubles matches, led by All-American duo Matt Bettles and Rob Crampton's 8-2 win over Daniel Carpenter and Mbithi at No. 1. Timmy Berg and Pierre Planche defeated Traff and David Myers 8-5 at No. 2.
Crampton, Bettles and Planche won at first, second and fourth singles, respectively, to preserve victory.
Bates 5, Trinity 4
April 27, 2013 at Wallach Tennis Center
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Daniel Carpenter/Musyoka Mbithi (Trinity) 8-2
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Ford Traff/David Myers (Trinity) 8-5
3. Ned Mandel/Jordan Kemp (Trinity) def. Dylan Reffe/Peter Yanofsky (Bates) 8-4
1. Crampton (Bates) def. Carpenter (Trinity) 6-4, 6-4
2. Bettles (Bates) def. Mandel (Trinity) 6-1, 7-6
3. Traff (Trinity) def. Berg (Bates) 6-4, 7-5
4. Planche (Bates) def. Ilya Levin (Trinity) 6-0, 6-2
5. Mbithi (Trinity) def. Reffe (Bates) 6-2, 6-1
6. Aaron Segel (Trinity) def. Ben Bogard (Bates) 6-2, 6-2