AMHERST, Mass. -- The fourth-seeded Bates men’s tennis team staved off a Wesleyan charge en route to a 5-3 victory over the fifth-seeded Cardinals in the first round of the 2013 NESCAC Championship on Friday.
Junior Timmy Berg's (Bradenton, Fla.) three-set victory at No. 3 singles represented the fifth point for the No. 21 nationally ranked Bobcats, clinching the win. Bates (10-8) will meet top-seeded Amherst on Saturday at 9am in the tournament semifinals.
Kicking off doubles action, Bates seniors Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) and Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) ousted Zachary Brint and Samuel Rudovsky, 8-6. Wesleyan’s Michael King and Jeff Legunn defeated Berg and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) at second doubles, 8-5, before the Bobcats’ No. 3 doubles team, senior Dylan Reffe (Washington, D.C.) and junior Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.), outlasted Stephen Monk and Donovan Suh, 9-8 (7-4).
Notching a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Monk at first singles, Crampton put Bates ahead 3-1 before Ben Hudson inched the Cardinals closer with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Bates junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) at sixth singles. Legunn upended Planche, 6-4, 6-0, at fourth singles to pull Wesleyan even, before Reffe’s 1-6, 7-5, 6-0 comeback win over Brint put Bates back on top. Needing just one more win, Berg defeated Rudovsky, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 to push the Bobcats through. Left unfinished was the No. 2 singles match, where Bettles and King were engaged in a a third set.
Bates and Wesleyan concluded the regular season last Sunday with a 6-3 Bates win in Lewiston.
The Cardinals (7-10) were making their first appearance in the tournament.
Bates 5, Wesleyan 3
May 3, 2013 at Amherst
1. Robert Crampton/Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Zachary Brint/Samuel Rudovsky (WES) 8-6
2. Michael King/Jeff Legunn (WES) def. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (BATES) 8-5
3. Dylan Reffe/Peter Yanofsky (BATES) def. Stephen Monk/Donovan Suh (WES) 9-8 (7-4)
1. Robert Crampton (BATES) def. Stephen Monk (WES) 6-1, 6-4
2. Matt Bettles (BATES) vs. Michael King (WES) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
3. Timmy Berg (BATES) def. Samuel Rudovsky (WES) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Jeff Legunn (WES) def. Pierre Planche (BATES) 6-4, 6-0
5. Dylan Reffe (BATES) def. Zachary Brint (WES) 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
6. Ben Hudson (WES) def. Ben Bogard (BATES) 6-1, 6-3