LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team won all three doubles matches en route to a 6-3 defeat of Wesleyan on Sunday, in the regular-season finale for both teams. Bates' win snapped Wesleyan's six-match win streak.
Bates (9-8, 6-4 NESCAC) and Wesleyan (7-9, 5-4 NESCAC) will wait to see whether they have earned a berth in the six-team NESCAC Men's Tennis Championship, next weekend at Amherst.
Bates senior Dylan Reffe (Washington, D.C.) and junior Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) pulled out a 9-7 win at No. 3 doubles over Wesleyan's Stephen Monk and Donovan Suh gave the Bobcats a 3-0 lead going into singles play. Seniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) took care of business with an 8-3 win over Zachary Brint and Samuel Rudovsky at No. 1 doubles, as did junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) at No. 2 doubles.
Reffe posted a three-set win at No. 5 singles, after Crampton and Bettles cruised to straight-set wins at first and second singles, respectively.
Bates 6, Wesleyan 3
April 28, 2013 at Wallach Tennis Center
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Zachary Brint/Samuel Rudovsky (W) 8-3
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) def. Michael King/Jeff Legunn (W) 8-3
3. Peter Yanofsky/Dylan Reffe (B) def. Stephen Monk/Donovan Suh (W) 9-7
1. Crampton (B) def. Monk (W) 6-2, 6-0
2. Bettles (B) def. King (W) 6-0, 6-2
3. Rudovsky (W) def. Berg (B) 4-6, 7-6, 10-4
4. Legunn (W) def. Planche (B) 7-5, 6-2
5. Reffe (B) def. Brint (W) 4-6, 7-6 (9), 10-8
6. Ben Hudson (W) def. Ben Bogard (B) 1-6, 7-6 (5), 10-4