SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team started off the spring 2013 campaign in competitive fashion, with a 6-3 defeat at No. 8 UC Santa Cruz.
Bates took a 2-1 lead in doubles play before the host Banana Slugs won five of six singles matches to nab the win.
Bates' All-American doubles team of seniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) went to a tiebreaker to put away Erich Koenig and Elias Scandalis at No. 1 doubles. At second doubles, junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) made quicker work of Banana Slug pair Max Littlejohn and Bryce Bettwy, winning 8-5.
Planche made it a 2-0 day personally at No. 4 singles, prevailing in a marathon over Sam Rogers, 6-7 (3), 6-4, 7-6(7). Sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) fell by a similarly even score at No. 5 singles to Scandalis, 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-3. Bates juniors Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) and Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) were edged in third doubles play by Andre Halabi and Chris Goetz, 9-7.
The Bobcats (1-1) will play at Pomona-Pitzer on Thursday at 5:30 Pacific time in Claremont, Calif.
UC Santa Cruz 6, Bates 3
Feb. 18, 2013 at Santa Cruz, Calif.
1. Erich Koenig/Elias Scandalis def. by Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) 9-8(4)
2. Max Littlejohn/Bryce Bettwy (UCSC) def. by Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) 8-5
3. Andre Halabi/Chris Goetz (UCSC) def. Peter Yanofsky/Ben Bogard (Bates) 9-7
1. Erich Koenig (UCSC) def. Rob Crampton (Bates) 7-6(5), 6-3
2. Andre Halabi (UCSC) def. Matt Bettles (Bates) 6-2, 6-4
3. Bryce Bettwy (UCSC) def. Timmy Berg (Bates) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sam Rogers (UCSC) def. by Pierre Planche (Bates) 6-7 (3), 6-4, 7-6(7)
5. Elias Scandalis (UCSC) def. Henry Lee (Bates) 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-3
6. Max Littlejohn (UCSC) def. Dylan Reffe (Bates) 6-4, 6-0