MEDFORD, Mass. -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates men's tennis team scored a 6-3 NESCAC win at Tufts on Saturday, in a matchup of two of top-10 teams from the Northeast region.
Tufts (5-2, 0-2 NESCAC), ranked ninth among Northeast Division III teams by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, scored a surprising win at No. 1 doubles over Bates' All-America senior tandem of Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), as Ben Barad and Rob Jacobson prevailed 8-5.
Bates (5-5, 2-1 NESCAC), ranked seventh in the Northeast, still took a 2-1 lead into singles play, however, thanks to an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles by junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.), and an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles by sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) and junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.).
Crampton, Berg, Planche and Lee all prevailed in singles play at positions 1, 3, 4 and 5, respectively. Bettles topped Barad at second singles 6-1 in the first set, but the Jumbo came back with two straight tiebreaker victories for the win, and at sixth singles, Rob Jacobson got the better of Bates junior Eric Ruta (Ridgewood, N.J.) 7-6 (6), 6-2.
Bates will play at No. 19 Amherst next Saturday, April 6 at 1pm.
Bates 6, Tufts 3
March 30, 2013 at Tufts
1. Ben Barad/Rob Jacobson (Tufts) def. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) 8-5
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Mark Westerfield/Nick Telkedzhiev (Tufts) 8-1
3. Henry Lee/Ben Bogard (Bates) def. Andrew Lutz/Matt Pataro (Tufts) 8-4
1. Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Nick Telkedzhiev (Tufts) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. Ben Barad (Tufts) def. Matt Bettles (Bates) 1-6, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)
3. Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Jay Glickman (Tufts) 6-1, 7-5
4. Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Andrew Lutz (Tufts) 6-2, 6-0
5. Henry Lee (Bates) def. Austin Blau (Tufts) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. Rob Jacobson (Tufts) def. Eric Ruta (Bates) 7-6 (6), 6-2