CLINTON, N.Y. -- The Bates men's tennis team finished its run of six straight road matches with an 8-1 NESCAC victory at Hamilton on Sunday.
The Bobcats (7-7, 4-3 NESCAC) have three regular-season matches remaining this week, beginning Wednesday at home against Bowdoin at 6:30pm.
Bates' top two doubles teams -- senior All-Americans Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) at No. 1, and junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) at No. 2 -- both won handily before all four players went on to post straight-set wins at Bates' top four singles positions, where they combined to outscore the Continentals 48-12. At No. 3 doubles, sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) and junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) prevailed 9-7 over Jon Franzel and Ian Antonoff. Bogard went on to defeat Antonoff by a convincing 6-3, 6-1 score at sixth singles.
Hamilton (7-9, 0-6 NESCAC) received its lone point at No. 5 singles.
No. 21 Bates College 8, Hamilton 1
1. Robert Crampton (B) d. Jon Franzel 6-4, 6-1.
2. Matt Bettles (B) d. James Oliver 6-2, 6-1.
3. Timmy Berg (B) d. Jordan Petit 6-3, 6-1.
4. Pierre Planche (B) d. Matt Billet 6-0, 6-0.
5. Ben Stern (H) d. Eric Ruta 7-5, 6-1.
6. Ben Bogard (B) d. Ian Antonoff 6-3, 6-1.
1. Crampton/Bettles (B) d. Petit/Oliver 8-2.
2. Planche/Berg (B) d. Billet/Buck Reynolds 8-5.
3. Henry Lee/Bogard (B) d. Franzel/Antonoff 9-7.